The best way to build my extension

The thing is if you don't do the preparation the builders would be entiltled to charge for the delay were you to need a different foundation method. You can get a trial hole dug for just a few hundred pounds, yet an unexpected problem will cost you a lot more in fees for the delay while you resolve it. Sites cost about two hundred and fifty pounds a week to run so you don't want to have holdups.

I think very roughly steel or ring beams add a few extra thousand in most cases.

The foundations get inspected by the building inspector on site.

Sponsored Links
The thing is if you don't do the preparation the builders would be entiltled to charge for the delay were you to need a different foundation method. You can get a trial hole dug for just a few hundred pounds, yet an unexpected problem will cost you a lot more in fees for the delay while you resolve it. Sites cost about two hundred and fifty pounds a week to run so you don't want to have holdups.

I think very roughly steel or ring beams add a few extra thousand in most cases.

The foundations get inspected by the building inspector on site.

Thanks. Obviously I am looking into this in far too much detail but do the architect and structural engineer organise the inspection and digging of the holes?

Yes they would. These holes are dug by groundworker companies as a rule and I think it costs around four hundred pounds.

I don't think you are going into too much detail atall. Yours is a tricky one in that if you don't plan it properly you could end up in a pickle.

These holes are dug by groundworker companies as a rule and I think it costs around four hundred pounds

These holes can be dug by anyone with a shovel. Costs will depend upon access, ground conditions, how deep the existing foundations are and to what extent the customer wishes to make good (patio slabs, tarmac etc).

Sponsored Links
The OP could dig the trial holes themselves. If they are not sure what they are looking at I'm sure if they posted some photos here, between us we could give them some idea whether the garage foundation is sat at the same depth as the main house foundation and whether the ground will have adequate bearing capacity to take the new first floor extension.

Thanks guys may take you up on that offer.

Had someone round this morning to look at doing the building regs. He said you wouldn't be able to build off of the flank wall as it is only 130mm of block work. He suggested small steel piers.

Is that accurate?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back