Am i being ripped off?

If he means this bit
442172.gif

It's £120 inc vat full retail. (!)

Thanks mate - could you tell me the full name of that and any parts number and I will offer to buy it and call their bluff

Thanks

Sponsored Links
that will be interesting!

it always amazes me that people buy into these scams...whats wrong with a local man who services your boiler and repairs it when broken..

Ok you are buying convenience...but at what price...

Thing is this is a local firm. Been in this town for years. They have done work for my family for years and although on the expensive side they have always got the job as they supply good stuff and all their staff are employed by them.

Am hoping it is cock up not conspiracy which as I say will be helpful if I can get exact part number / band so I can have a go at them

Geoggy, The thing that confuses me is, how are you being ripped off. You have not paid for the item or the repair, the contract has not been concluded and you are still able to negotiate or cancel the repair this company is going to carry out for you.

Mr Google has a lot to answer for. Seeing a part on the web is not like getting a part from the local supplier and carry out repair within short period of time. Nor does it give the engineer the facility to replace defective item at drop of a hat. While there is a mismatch between Mr Google price and your 'trusted' fixers quote, end of the day if you are not happy with what the company is charging you, you are free to go else where.

I too have been tarred by 'being ripped off brigade' couple of times, last time for a bill of £65 which was to tell the homeowner the defect but not to cure the problem. payment was made by cheque but then cheque was bounced.

If you are happy with the service, not the price, why not talk to the company? Might have been a mistake someone made in costing the component. Could also be, the complete manifold is being replaced.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the post - am happy to give benefit of doubt. Have called them and left message for a call back but gave to wait till Monday.

In the meantime the boiler is working 100% fine so as you say I will walk away if they don't change their price - gloworm themselves do full cove for about 70 quid more than I have been paying

Can someone please definitively name the part that was pictured above?

Thanks.

Just spoke to a manager, it is apparenty 2 parts that have to be replace, the valve and the cartridge. He said he has called another supplier and one part is 100 quid and the other part is 285 quid.

So the price quoted is correct.

How does that sound?

Geoggy, The thing that confuses me is, how are you being ripped off. You have not paid for the item or the repair, the contract has not been concluded and you are still able to negotiate or cancel the repair this company is going to carry out for you.

Mr Google has a lot to answer for. Seeing a part on the web is not like getting a part from the local supplier and carry out repair within short period of time. Nor does it give the engineer the facility to replace defective item at drop of a hat. While there is a mismatch between Mr Google price and your 'trusted' fixers quote, end of the day if you are not happy with what the company is charging you, you are free to go else where.

I too have been tarred by 'being ripped off brigade' couple of times, last time for a bill of £65 which was to tell the homeowner the defect but not to cure the problem. payment was made by cheque but then cheque was bounced.

If you are happy with the service, not the price, why not talk to the company? Might have been a mistake someone made in costing the component. Could also be, the complete manifold is being replaced.

What's your point caller? he's already going to talk to the company to query the price, that's why he asked advice here. He's entitled to object to being ripped off, even before the ripping is actually concluded lol. And don't even start the 'mr google' argument, they want to charge him three times the price of the full retail price available online. If that's not getting ripped off I dont know what is, and if you defend that it says alot about your practices mate.

My guess is that the OP has caught these guys on the hop. They were hoping to make a killing on a cartridge but have now changed their tune that he needs the cartridge and the valve. I'm guessing that trading standards knows about their sharp practice so they are muddying the water.

Indeed Joe, obviously a well rehearsed fall back line. Wonder how often they get away with not even being challenged.

[
quote="DP";p="2655103"]Geoggy, The thing that confuses me is, how are you being ripped off. You have not paid for the item or the repair, the contract has not been concluded and you are still able to negotiate or cancel the repair this company is going to carry out for you.

[/quote]

As a general rule, I would agree with you. But the OP and the sopplier has already entered a contract. he has been paying for his labour, and rightly expects to pay a fair price for the parts. But what is a "fair price"?. Listed "retail" prices really mean nothing, but they are a good guide. One expects that a "retail price" allows for a reasonable mark up, but when it is found on the net, it isn't always the case.

So, DP, in this case, if the op was beig charged the price quoted, he is being ripped off, and as he has already paid the labour, he loses if he walks away.

The only part that actually needs to be changed is the gland ( has the slots on the sides in the photo ).

I would charge £127 to diagnose fault and replace that.

You obviously have a firm that provides an artificially low annual fee and then makes their money from over inflated parts prices.

Call their bluff and get the part yourself! See them deflate and get annoyed that their ruse has been discovered.

If only I had a few more of those in stock I would send you a free one to use!

I wouldn't have anything else to do with them. They'll probably come out and pretend to change the valve - and still charge you £300 for a £57 part.

Dump them and find a good local trader.

Or play along, wait till he's finished putting the boiler back together and ask him to hand over the faulty parts, they are yours after all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back