Am I being scammed by a gas-safe company?

Sponsored Links
This will have have them flocking to your door.

Do you think so? It seems that the public must be firmer. If you don't want to sell me what I want then I don't want buy from you. There's a fine old tradition that says the customer is sometimes right.

Or do you think it wrong to tell tradesmen what you want? Can you give me better wording? That would be helpful. I mean it. How can I better word my needs with no ambiguity?

There's an underlying current through this thread that somehow I must not query a Registered Gas Fitter. And it is responded to - not with assistance - but with sarcasm. Though I do thank those many who have been helpful.

The wording is typical of some one who can drag such a basic issue out to 5 pages on an Internet forum. Most people would have just got the job done by another rgi at whatever the local rate is and report the other fella (admittedly a numpty) to Gas Safe.

You stipulate the requirements (bearing in mind you are effectively asking them to be an expert witness) then they give you a price. Trying to negotiate a price is not going to win you a decent engineer.

Sponsored Links
I have to say that if a customer asked me for what you wanted, then I would smell a rat !

It is a very specific requirement and not based on what we normally are asked to do for our clients.

But particularly it is not based on technical tests that the manufacturer asks for as part of a service or safety check.

So I would be asking you why you have put together your requirements and what you are hoping to achieve!

Tony

You have been let down, no question.
I wont read through everything again, but:

Have you paid his invoice
Did he give you the Landlord Certificate?

On my earlier reply, about the cost of lawyers, I meant to say rather than pay a lawyer, engage another RGI.

Dan is correct. You have indicated that you are cost sensitive, but that you expect the engineer to be able to call next week, after, no doubt, some time consuming "negotiations". All this to a fire that someone else has condemned, and there is a chance that any paperwork left will be used in court. This time of the year, and with bad weather crashing in, most RGIs will rather save the time for a normal breakdown.

You now say that you want readings of emissions from flue? Why? The readings WILL look excessive, as already discussed. There is no such requirement on these fires, and can damage sensors. Checking for CO in the room is different. However, some RGI's will say that they don't have the correct certification, although I believe the restriction is only after a report of suspect room CO.

You only want a safety test? That implies you don't want the fire repaired, just tested. Is that correct?
You have a "commercial CO room alarm"? Presumably you mean "commercially available"
BTW: Customers are rarely correct. That is why they are customers

And finally, don't take to much notice of Bernie. Just look at some of his history. Especially useful if it is late at night and you are struggling to sleep.

Trustmark? A good idea in principle:
http://www.building.co.uk/trustmark-a-£22k-tale-of-horror/3140625.article.

Any Gas Safe fitter can join Trustmark free of charge, until next year. I think I just joined.

The arrowsmith affair was 10 years ago and involved one "builder" carrying out ( or subcontracting out ) several different trades.

Quoting from the article :-

We are at 184 ********* Road, the address that should have been Arrowsmith’s home for the past three years. That was before a six-week renovation, begun in September 2006, turned into what Arrowsmith describes as a “living hell”. After spending five months in the house, Arrowsmith’s builders, Southampton-based Keystone Construction UK Ltd, were paid about £22,000, which Arrowsmith says was the price reached in the initial verbal agreement. In return, he received a wreck. The builders also took fittings that Arrowsmith had paid for, and as a finishing touch demanded more money for variations and extras.

~~~~~~
All registered firms use a logo that gives details of the scheme operator through which it has joined, and an indication of the trade covered. This can also be confirmed by using our website search facility, so Keystone Construction, does not appear under “general builders” but as an “electrician”.

In a letter from TrustMark to Mr Arrowsmith it says “your choice of contractor was not because of their TrustMark status” but because “you have used them previously”. Why would this make any difference?

Last edited:
To save people reading back. A glass fronted, decorative flame effect fire with a room sealed balanced flue has been condemned because of excessive CO emissions externally at the flue. Previous inspections of the fire, in the boxes for emissions, were marked as N/A. (Not applicable?) Backed up by people on here. "There is no such requirement on these fires, and can damage sensors." (FiremanT - above).

My landlord has now sent me this email. I'm certain I don't need a new fire but I don't know how to defend myself - thanks for the information so far.

2v9dffr.jpg

Why trust the landlords "quality consultant" who may be biased in the landlord's favour. The landlord should pay for an independent consultant which you agree to.

Why would the consultant only report back to the landlord, he should make the report available to you as well.

His poor use of English leaves some doubt about the exact meaning behind his words,

Why would the consultant only report back to the landlord

Because the landlord is paying for it.

The landlord should pay for an independent consultant which you agree to.

No. The landlord should fulfill his legal duties, which he is by all accounts.

Why trust the landlords "quality consultant" who may be biased in the landlord's favour.

Indeed; then the tenant can engage their own consultant at their expense.

His poor use of English leaves some doubt about the exact meaning behind his words,

His poor use of English tells me it is a second language. I see no doubt in the meaning of the words.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back