Am I missing something? Joining skirting of different depth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the process of renovating my house and I'd like to keep the wood flooring of the bedroom. One issue is the floor wasn't laid in the smartest way from an expansion gap perspective with gaps of differing sizes ranging from 10-25mm. Also, one wall has radiator pipes being close to the wall meaning only a 15mm thick skirting can slot in behind.

They say a picture speaks a thousand words so I've included a pic with skirting thicknesses I'm planning on fitting in the room. Doing it this way means I can get skirting behind the radiator whilst also covering expansion gaps throughout the room. My question is, is this possible or will there be issues fitting skirtings of different thicknesses? Wanted to be sure before ordering the skirting. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It would look unsightly with different widths, so why not have a single depth of 25mm and rout or otherwise form a groove to fit the radiator pipe or, better still move the pipe out.

Blup

Thanks for the reply. So I understand the groove option, would it look like this? Black = wall, red = skirting, green = rad pipes (looks like a poorly drawn bus!)

I must admit that when I added Scottia around my skirting after the parquet was sanded, it did occur to me that I was fannying about with tiny bits of trim in the corners when most of it would be hidden by furniture or is in a dark corner. It's easy to get too close to a job when on your hands and knees next to it but who actually looks?

Sponsored Links
Yes, or you could just mitre the edges of the skirting

Blup

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back