Am I on the right track?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I am in need of some professional advice.

I have a Ideal Mexico Super 450ff floor standing boiler, this is how its configured:
Looking from the front , to the left 2x 28mm pipes, the top is the flow to the cylinder, the bottom the return to the cylinder.
On the left 2x22mm pipes, the top the flow to the ch and the bottom the return for the ch.
The pump is fitted to the return from the ch. There are no motorised valves.

Heres what I have in mind:

Take the pump off the ch return and fit it to the ch flow, after the pump fitting a auto bypass valve which conects to the ch return then a tee joint to acommadate 1 x 22mm zone valve to the ch radiators and 1x 22mm zone valve connected to the flow to the cylinder via a 28 to 22 mm reducer.
Would I have to just put a straight cap on the 28mm pipe I cut from the original cylindef flow on boiler, or some sort of valve?
I have a cylinder stat a programable room stat a programer and a honeywell wiring box to add to it. All the radiators have trvs exept the one in the hall.

Much appreciation if any of you knowlegable pros would give me your views and advice on this. Will it work???? Is it any where near correct????
I wait in anticapation.

Cheers
Wayne

Sponsored Links
Is this an open vented system?

If so then what about the vent?

If its a sealed system are you sure that it has the appropriate safety features?

Tony

You would have to cap both the flow an return from the cylinder at the bolier connection. A 1" black iron plug or 2 28 mm cap ends for the pipework. the cylinder return would have to be tee'd into the heating circuit as the last return on the circuit to prevent reverse circulation. Also i would recommened re-piping the cylinder circuit as the flow rate round the 28 circs could trip the boiler stat out to quick. either that or fit a gate valve cranked rite down to restrict flow

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input Plummerman.

Never thought about that, do you mean that the 28mm pipe circuit will flow quicker and stop the stat before it suppose to?
Where is the best place to fit a gate valve?

Also is it really nessacery to redirect the 28mm cylinder return?
I was looking at a honeywell s plan diagram which showed the flow still fitted to the boiler?

Cheers Wayne

you need to keep the open vent and cold feed completely UNvalved. converting to fully pumped is much more involved than you think.

Its hard to say the best course of action without seeing your installation - there is normally more than one option, but if its not done correctly you could create a lot of probs for the future.

try posting some pics of boiler and airing cupboard, so we can see what's likely to be possible

Thanks Mick
Can you explain what you mean by "you must keep the feed and vent UNvalved"?
As far as I can make out one is on the cylinder flow and one on the return.
Would it work if they were left there?
I will get some pictures soon and post them to give you a better idea.

All the best
Wayne

Would it work if they were left there

quite possibly, but that doesnt mean its right, usually the feed and vent shouldnt be connected to flow and return at cylinder on a fully pumped system.

The feed and vent would need to be brought back down into the boiler flow. You would get air or sludge problems leaving them on the cylinder pipework. Also the vent pipe is a safety pipe in the event of overheating it allows hot water to escape from boiler into f/e tank in loft. Thts why valving it or any obstructions are a no no!

Wayne, why dont you put the cold feed and vent pipes into the spare tappings on your boiler cos they will be free when you fully pump the system.
Just like I told you ;)
George

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back