Am I seeing things (part P related)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Hi Adam,
reading your post i think there is some scope for confusion, im sure you understand that -

A completion certificate for building regs is issued for all applications (new house/ extension/ rewire, etc)when completed.

Its not the same as a BS7671 design install and inspect certificate and doesnt include any test results.

From a little further down the same link -

A qualified installer, regardless of whether he or she is registered or not, should give you a signed BS 7671 electrical safety certificate for all types of electrical work

They say they will inspect the work but it would be wise to speak to them to see if they will do the testing for it or ask you to do it.

Reading onto this link http://www.lincoln.gov.uk/Information_page_+_3_pic_det.asp?id=4955&sec_id=1556

Building Regulation Applications

If you intend to submit a full plans application for notifiable electrical work we will require a note on the plans which states:

"All electrical work required to meet the requirements of Part P (Electrical Safety) must be designed, installed, inspected and tested by a person competent to do so.

Prior to completion, the local authority should be satisfied that Part P has been complied with. This may require an appropriate BS7671 electrical installation certificate to be issued for the work by a person competent to do so.

Sponsored Links
but if its the chosen route to show compliance then testing is part of the package

we could do it to the la la carcacha regs......la la carcacha, la la carcacha, la la la la laaa ;)

instead of testing do a lil dance :LOL:

blah blah blah .....then youll be a man my son :D

tell me another way

I thought it was too good to be true, looks like they are still digging their heels, and there website now contradicts itself, great :rolleyes:

Mr Winston said:
blah blah blah .....then youll be a man my son :D

tell me another way
Any way you like - all that the law requires is that it be reasonably safe.

LABCs have no authority to demand that any particular standards or regulations are adhered to.

Thats all it does require - the method that you chose isnt dictated - but following the approved document is often the cheapest and most straight forward way.
The onus is on the person doing the work to show that it complies, so its easy to say 'i followed part p and that says follow BS7671' - and we all want an easy life ;)
Alternatively you find another path to compliance - but you need to provide the justification to back it up (which may or may not be more complicated).

Whats your take on P2 - sufficient information shall be provided so that persons wishing to operate, maintain or alter an installation can do so with reasonable safety.

I think that could be satisfied somewhat by the test results.

I've emailed them seeking clarification, let's see what they say in the morning

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back