Amateur DIY Extension

Jeez, where does the time go! Still plodding on, so I thought I'd try and give you some updates.

Unfortunately, my phone doesn't really like taking photos any more so these next bits are a bit lacking but I'll try and get better! It also feels like I've done way more stuff than I'll write about here, but I suppose it's just lots and lots of little jobs to get everything ready.

Also, some of these photos are posted out of order so don't over think it ;)

Screed Prep

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/oq8yG0s

To be honest, I never did quite get my head around the "right" way to do the threshold so I just made it up and I'll reap the consequences if it goes wrong. Anyway, I knocked out the bricks on the inner leaf and of course this left a big hole where the cavity was, and a dip where the concrete came above the course of bricks. I troughed it all with DPM, and then just chucked in some concrete.

After that, it was just a case of fitting the insulation and upstands. I decided to put the upstands touching the floor, rather than trying to get them to balance on top.

Finally, I did put in a vapour barrier but didn't get a photo of that.

Screed

No Pics

So, this is definitely a part of the project I wish I'd have done differently. I went for sand/cement purely because it seemed to be a proven and simple method, and was also cost-effective. What I'd under estimated was how much of a "one shot" it is - I'd had quite a lot of success with the concrete subfloor so I was feeling fairly confident.

I decided to order it readymix as the price was good, and I'm glad of that. Unfortunately, almost immediately after they delivered it we got torrential rain. So, long story short, it was very much a rush job and something that worries me a little going forward. I'm pretty happy with the overall result - I should have got some photos before I started working inside, but I'll try and get something that shows the floor. It definitely needs a bit of self levelling on top, but I do reckon people have had worse from builders ;)

BUT, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I do worry about this whole compaction thing and how strong it really is. That said, I've had no cracks or anything and it certainly seems solid. Nothing I've dropped has dented the top. I just hope we don't start getting cracked tiles or something later down the line.

Oh, and the other issue with sand/cement is the drying time. In hindsight, I'd definitely pay the money and just get some kind of liquid screed put in.

Windows and Guttering

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/sStC1aB

Not much to say! I paid a local fitter to do the windows as he supplied and fitted for barely any more than I could get any, plus all the online uPVC sellers seemed to have huge lead times.

They're small, but it is what it is - it's a utility room and we didn't want to eat up too much space. The intention is to move some appliances to the worktop so we just wanted to soften the front and get a bit of light in.

And I finally got around to getting the guttering on, plus trimming down the dry verge and everything. Gotta say, I'm quite happy with the result.

Oh and I did pay a local roofing firm to nip in and put me the lead on

First Fix / Bits and Bobs Before Plastering

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/Xwz3SjF

Just some bits from the prep work before we got the plasterer in. Nothing huge to write about here, apart from the fun surrounding the boiler. We're planning on getting a new boiler as part of this work, and relocating it slightly at the same time. Unfortunately, as soon as the walls were up we started getting exhaust recirculation issues, so I had to get a gas engineer in to fit a new flu and plume kit. A bit annoying for a temporary measure, but it is what it is!

The new boiler is going directly to the left of the existing, so I also had to reroute a bit of pipe work just to free up a few more mm of breathing room.

Other than that, I decided to take the gamble of putting in a temporary door frame for the plasterer. We want a nice oak frame later down the line, so in theory the temporary frame is precisely where the oak one will go. I'll let you know how that works out! But it gives me a temporary door, too.

Built out the stud walling for the downstairs toilet and I also put in a loft hatch. It'll never really be a loft space, but it's handy having access.

Uhm, I think I fitted the cavity closers at this point and probably a bunch of other stuff I forget!

First Fix Electric

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/B7HBKoX

What a dream cutting out blocks are, vs the old bricks in the house! Anyway, I guess the main thing here was just reaching some final decisions. We decided on our layout for the "kitchen" (It's a utility, but we'll be using kitchen bits) and lighting. I also decided to chuck in some soffit lights, as I think we're going to put a deck in front.

Not much to say really - ran lots of wires, core drilled a few holes for extractor fans and put in all the back boxes and capping!

Phase 1 Plastering

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/Z8faoMU

Part of the challenge of the sand/cement screed is that we don't have a precise finished floor height yet - not to the mm anyway. We want a bifold door in for the toilet and they seem to have very low tolerances (~6mm).

Because of that, and the boiler move, I figured it'd be easier to just do the plastering in two steps. So, the "L" shape of the utility was done last week along with the boarding for the new boiler.

Really happy with the result and it's starting to feel like a room. The wife is going to paint it for me this weekend and then it's on to look at moving the boiler and doing at least some of the second fix electrics.

This route also had the advantage of having access to the back of the stud wall, so that I can sort out the plumbing along with the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Hahaha..hahaha....haha....sigh.....

That's a long story. The lead discussed is a shared connection from next door. We actually do have a brand new plastic watermain which was put in a couple of years back now. Unfortunately Severn Trent Water messed us about for over 6 months and once it was made live we couldn't get the company back to terminate at next door. That's also a long story, but the end result is that as of writing we have two water mains in the house - plastic and lead. I have to periodically run the lead to stop it stagnating until we can terminate it properly.

Once lockdown is over I have a lead on another company who can only hopefully come out and terminate next doors lead pipe and that'll be the end of that.

Incidentally, I finally got the lead capped off next door so I never have to think about this stupid water pipe again!

I thought I'd also just add, I tried to go through and add up the costs. I reckon we're in for about £10k up to now. A chunk of that is on tools, with things like £200 on the disc cutter. And also things like skips - I'm also including all the demolition costs and waste with this.

Materials are coming in about £6k so far

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back