Amazon and power tool warrenty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With Black Friday + Christmas coming up and lots of power tools likely to be bought by peeps not in the know , this vid may be of interest.
Why you should NEVER BUY THESE POWER TOOLS ON AMA…:

Sponsored Links
Dewalt I know use the serial number to see when it was manufactured , they print the year and month , which you use to register for the 3 year warranty
As seen here looks like Milwaukee do the same.
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx1BNOJU7J65O5C/1/ref=ask_al_psf_al_hza
An item was purchased from amazon on 2018 and went wrong in 2020 - BUT the product was manufactured in 2013 , and as the video says Amazon is NOT an authorised seller , NOR ebay then the warranty was not valid. It implies that Milwaukee would have honored if the tool had been manufactured within the 5years , I think it is for Milwaukee.
With the 1st year I suspect it would be a load of hassel , as its the seller that gives the warranty , so i'm sure they would have to be a lot of discussion, if amazon did not honor the warranty.
I have purchased a couple of dewalt tools via amazon and had a good after sales service from a vendor on Amazon PlanetToolsUK

he's American. I didn't watch more than "welcome"

UK consumer law is different.
The seller is responsible for repairs.
AFAIK we still use the EU consumer law

So then perhaps a good suggestion would be, once you have purchased it from Amazon, check the warranty status with the manufacturer.
Then you have the option to return it within the 14 days allowed.

Sponsored Links
Don't buy power tools off Amazon, (or anything off fleabay), always get them from SF or TS that way, if anything goes wrong, I have a branch of each in my local town.

Don't buy power tools off Amazon, (or anything off fleabay), always get them from SF or TS that way, if anything goes wrong, I have a branch of each in my local town.

I like to use proper tool outlets, I often find the tools available from Screwfix and Toolstation are the lower end of the ranges and the independent tool shops have the higher end range of the tools and at a not too dissimilar price. For example the Milwaukee cordless brushless drill exclusive to Screwfix only has 55nm torque and has a slower speed, and independent has 2x types available either a 85nm type or a 135nm type both with more speed and higher BPM than the Screwfix special.

The warranty with the independent firms I find pretty good too, it does take a little longer than just popping to Screwfix if they aren't local mind.

When I have checked in the past, both stores are often more expensive than independants. That said, the return policy is normally pretty good- you purchase a tool that has failed in less than 12 months and they will give you a full refund. You can then use the refund to purchase the exact same tool again and get another 12 month warranty, whereas if you replace the tool you will only get 12 months minus the time left.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back