Amazon Prime Video Anomaly

Sponsored Links
Yeah, beginning to think you're right...
:cry:

I'll try and find a way to cast from my phone to the TV.

OK.

Amazon could not understand why I was being asked to pay for the free film.

As the only way I can view this film free is on my smartphone, I have been desperately trying to find out why I cannot cast the film from phone to TV.

My phone is Android 13 and normally, what I do (usually with a YT video) to watch it on the TV is to tap the cast button on the app and a search for devices commences. I then choose which device I want.

The cast button in Prime Video is not finding any devices.

I spent ages in a rabbit hole with the Samsung Smart things app because I discovered the TV has two old phones of mine listed and wanted to add my current phone in case that was a stumbling block, but to no avail.

So next I went to settings in the phone and pulled up CAST.

It found both the TV and the Roku, so I connected to the Roku first.

I found I could play the film, but here's the rub.

I could hear the audio and see the subtitles, but the screen was otherwise blank. I looked down at the phone screen and could see the picture, but not on the TV.

When the screen was mirroring my phone prior to playing the film, I could see the phone screen duplicated on the TV screen, so I am properly stumped as to why the audio and subtitles come through, but the picture does not.....

Just to make sure I wasn't going mad, I tried the same thing having disconnected from the Roku and connected direct to the TV. The result was the same.

I am thoroughly mystified!

Tried adjusting display settings and that makes no difference at all.

Sponsored Links
The film is playing on my mobile, and being cast to the TV.

If I cast a YT video, it works OK, aside from the picture quality.

I shall try it on our other Samsung TV to eliminate a fault with the TV.

I've had issues with Amazon on my LG TV recently. I used to be able to buy films through the TV app, but now have to order from the website on mobile, then refresh my library on the TV. They've certainly changed some things about how TV apps work, maybe older apps on older TVs are failing to work properly?

I usually use my Chromecast now though, as I feel that the picture is better quality. Not sure if it is mush better, but it seems better.

I shall try it on our other Samsung TV to eliminate a fault with the TV.
Same issue.

How much has this free film cost you, in time wasted? :unsure:
Point taken, but I absolutely hate inanimate things getting the better of me, a living, thinking human being.

Also, I discovered that quite a few of the films I want to watch I'm being asked to pay for, where on Freevee, they are gratis.And when you pay a monthly fee for access to "free" films, it rankles when they ask for payment.

I can only think Freddie's right. I can understand that Samsung have stopped supporting these old TVs. I can even understand that they have taken away functionality (no longer any access to My5 and ITVhub no longer works; updates are not possible), but I am struggling to understand why cast is only partly working.

Oh for the days when we only had 3 channels to choose from and you had to get off your backside to switch over/on/off. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

My IT help desk lad helped me with this issue tonight.

It is an issue with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).

It is designed to offer copyright protection to stop illegal streaming.

In this case, there is no illegal streaming going on but because the old Samsung TVs we have can't handshake with the smart phone, it won't enable video to the TVs. Bizzarely, it allows subtitles and audio through.

Still doesn't explain how I can stream YT to the TV, albeit with rubbish quality, but hey-ho....

Apparently, this device is needed to bypass the HDCP, but whether it would work, I have no idea

VHD-1X2MN3D

Sponsored Links
Back