Amazon Prime, free 30 day trial.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner already has a Prime account, but I bought a Fire Cube last week and relegated the Stick to the kitchen under my none Prime account- on which she managed set up a 30 day free Prime trial. This morning I received an email from Amazon, to let me know the free 30 days was running. I have heard it is very easy to be tricked into agreeing to a Prime account.

I don't want it, why would we need two separate accounts when she already has an account anyway? What happens after the 30 days, does it just expire or go on to begin charging? How do I cancel?

Sponsored Links
If you have the app, click on my account, click on Prime membership, click on mange membership, select cancel.

After 30 days free they charge you. Easy to cancel (under my account), I did so to mine last week.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I found it - they don't make it easy to find and obviously don't like you cancelling.
Amazon are naughty, they design the buying page so the click button to buy is the prime option.

It's so easy to add prime without knowing.

I've used it a few times deliberately then cancelled straight after.

My prime account is on two smart TV's, an iPhone, an iPad, 2 firesticks and a fire TV box plus my daughter uses it on her TV (I use her Netflix account on all my devices too).

We've had a Prime account for quite a long time now, and it has certainly come in useful when the Covid restrictions were at their highest, mainly for free deliveries.

At the end of November last year, we bought a Fire Stick and, more recently, cancelled our BBC Tax, so our Prime account has also come in useful there as well, as there is a wealth of films on the Prime channel.

If only the prime deliveries were always as stated.
Very rarely is "next day delivery" actually next day any more.

At the end of November last year, we bought a Fire Stick and, more recently, cancelled our BBC Tax, so our Prime account has also come in useful there as well, as there is a wealth of films on the Prime channel.

I have three now, a Stick on the kitchen TV, a Box on the bedroom TV, now a Cube on the TV in the living room. Each generation has become faster and more capable. Only the Stick was bought new, the other two I bought used, from people who had failed to make any sense of them at knockdown prices.

The box included Alexa access, but not in a very useful way - needing the remote to access. The Cube includes it without need for a remote, voice activated. I presently use a radio remote control to allow me to switch my big outside lights, router in the loft, several printers upstairs in my office (little spare bedroom). I have ordered a batch of Alexa compatible 13amp plug ins, to allow these to be controlled via Alexa. I am also hoping Alexa can switch lights at set times, so it can help make the house appear to be occupied, when we are away. At present I use plug-in timers to do this.

I have three now, a Stick on the kitchen TV, a Box on the bedroom TV, now a Cube on the TV in the living room. Each generation has become faster and more capable. Only the Stick was bought new, the other two I bought used, from people who had failed to make any sense of them at knockdown prices.

The box included Alexa access, but not in a very useful way - needing the remote to access. The Cube includes it without need for a remote, voice activated. I presently use a radio remote control to allow me to switch my big outside lights, router in the loft, several printers upstairs in my office (little spare bedroom). I have ordered a batch of Alexa compatible 13amp plug ins, to allow these to be controlled via Alexa. I am also hoping Alexa can switch lights at set times, so it can help make the house appear to be occupied, when we are away. At present I use plug-in timers to do this.

To be honest, I have had occasional small problems with the Fire Stick, though the experts on the Amazon chat line have been very helpful in sorting them out.
One thing to watch out for, at least in my experience, is that the remote occasionally fails to operate. The way to 're-set' this is to hold down the large button and the 'play' button at the same time for 5 seconds or longer. That isn't shown in the instructions (at least not in mine), but has been recommended to me by the experts.

One thing to watch out for, at least in my experience, is that the remote occasionally fails to operate.

Yes, they do sometimes lose pairing and need to be repaired up. It took me a while and a bit of googling, to work out why it had stopped working and the simple fix.

I too was tricked by this enrolment into Prime scam about a year ago, could not find how to cancel it online, spent about 30 minutes on the phone and did manage to have the whole thing successfully cancelled, so I did't loose any money.

Have not bought from them since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back