Amber III blowing fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Amber III shower, which is blowing the 30 amp fuse at the fusebox. it was fitted by an electrician. I know i will probably end up having to uninstall it and take it back, i'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
You need to get the electrician to establish what the problem is.

but as i bought the shower and he installed it, and i'm 90% certain that it's the shower unit at fault, i'll have to pay him to come and do that.. and i don't want to part with any more of my hard earned moolah...

Sponsored Links
it's 8.5 kw. it will work ok for a few days, then will start to run cold, then the 30 amp fuse on the fusebox will blow

8.5kW=8500W= 35 to 38 Amps (dependent on maker's documentation) so it is rated higher than your 30A fuse so it is bound to blow the fuse.

There is nothing to suggest the shower is faulty.

I am surprised a professional electrician agreed to fit it.

How professional was he?

well.. i'm surprised. he came highly recommended. if i replace the fuse with a 40 amp one, then will i be ok? or is it more complicated than that?

It is more complicated.
You need to firstly ensure the cable is large enough and installed in such a fashion as to be able to handle the current. What size cable is it, it should tell you on your electrical installation certificate? How is it installed? How long is the cable? What is the efli? Is the rating of the isolator switch large enough?
On the other hand, is the spark who did it a member of a competent person scheme?
This work is notifiable to LABC under Part P.

Thanks mate, you have been extremely helpful, the electrician has been summoned!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back