American power cord to UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a laptop in the US and obviously, it comes with a power cord with an American plug on it.

I don't want the whole adaptor thing so, is it possible to cut off the American plug, trime the wires and then attach a UK plug? If so, what fuse should be in the plug?

Sponsored Links
You need to check it out first. The USA uses lower voltage so our voltage might fry it.

It would be far better to throw away the American power cord and buy a UK one.

Presumably it's a standard cloverleaf or figure-8 connector at the laptop power supply end?

I bought a laptop in the US and obviously, it comes with a power cord with an American plug on it. ... I don't want the whole adaptor thing so, is it possible to cut off the American plug, trime the wires and then attach a UK plug? If so, what fuse should be in the plug?
Doesn't the power cord plug into the power supply/adaptor? (if so, it could just be replaced with a UK cord)

But ... what does the power supply/adaptor say about what voltages it is suitable for?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It's a power cord for an Apple MacBook, with a three pin plug--one round pin and two flat pins--at one end and a two "hole" connector at the other.

If you can and do change the plug then be aware that in American power leads white is Neutral and black is Live so the black goes to the fuse.

NearlyDIY,

The powerbricks for most (perhaps all) laptops are designed to work anywhere in the world, and so should work in both USA 110V and UK 230V.

To check read the writing on the power brick and it should say "Input" and then either "110V" or "240V" or "100V-240V".

If it says "INPUT: 100V-240V" then you can use it in USA and UK.

Regarding the plug, if are happy to change plug then cut off USA plug and put on UK plug. If the cable is removable from the powerbrick I would recommend going online to Amazon, or to a Malpins shop and getting a new cable that plugs into you powerbrick with a UK plug on it.

Here are a few cables with different ends on that might match your powerbrick:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mains lead

Regarding the Plug fuse, my Power Brick says INPUT "100V-240V, 1.7A". So would put in a 3A of 5A fuse.

EDIT>>> just seen your email about it being an Apple Powerbook.
I think you can simply slide teh USA plug off and then use a "Figure of 8 Power Lead" such as this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pin-Plug-Fi...TF8&qid=1412008182&sr=8-1&keywords=mains+lead

or look on ebay and you can get a (perhaps dodgy) UK plug that slots in to replase teh USA plug.

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back