Can I use this Plug for an American laptop power brick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recieved a laptop imported from America today, and obviously it had an American plug (and I forgot to get an english adapter) d'oh. I'm really itching to turn it on and get it going!

Anyway, I'll probably go and buy an adapter, but the plug I need it for has a double rounded plug like this:
K3762.jpg

Thats the same one as on my old stereo and on my printer. So I was wondering if it is safe to use that one to plug into the power brick?

Will that be ok?

Or is that double rounded plug different in America to over here?

Sponsored Links
Have a read of what it says on the power brick, we run at 230v AC, 50hz in this country, the power brick will probably say something like :

"100 - 240v, 50-60hz" in which case it will be suitable, but its a very good idea to check because it just might not be

Hope this helps :)

Adam

Shouldn't think so, the transformer supplied will be a step down from American voltages 120V?. You need a new transformer that will step down from 230V. Then again, listen to Adam not me!!

Just checked my transformer and it states the ranges that Adam has quoted :D

Thankyou for your help.

The power brick does indeed say "100 - 240v, ~ 1.8A 50-60hz"

But my UK cable says 2.5A/250v~

Is that still ok then, since we run on 230v?

The American one which it came with says 125v, 7A

Sponsored Links
yep you can just connect it directly to british mains with your existing cables.

the voltages printed on the cables are the ratings of the cables themselves which are generally slightly higher than the voltages of the systems they are expected to be used on.

Yes, you can just plug in your 'old stereo' style lead into the laptop power brick, as they are designed to take anything from 110-240v (as you say, you checked the power brick). I am doing the EXACT same thing with my US Gateway laptop here in UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back