Electric Extension Setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i was just wandering if someone could tell me if my current setup is safe..

currently i have a six socket extension adapter with a four socket extension adapter connected to that one. (the long ones spread out, not stacked)

in the six socket adapter i have......

the four socket adapter
a table lamp (like pixar lamp) with dimmer knob in first
laptop charger
power for my computer (low power imac)
power cable for alesis M1 active monitors
and a plug for a printer.

in the four socket adapter i have......

two 21 inch monitors being powered
HDD power supply
USB power supply

is this a safe setup, most of the items like the USB power is low, and the printer and laptop charger are only used now and again, but left in.
i always turn it all off when i go out or to sleep, but still i have a lot of important stuff i don't want to fry.

bere in mind my computer is full of plugs as well, pretty much every different port is used powering other items

Sponsored Links

This is the plug I cut off one similar set up. The brown spot is where the fuse had got so hot it had melted the top of the plug, the inside was much more of mess

To know if it's safe or not you will need to know the power rating of each device plugged in:

Problem is a 13amp fuse will run at more than 13amps for a long time and not blow, it will just get very hot and pose a fire risk. Do you not have another wall outlet you can plug the second lead into? Even if it's the same wall outlet as the one the first lead is in

thanks for the quick reply, yes i have another one next to it, but the modem is in the same room. i have an electronic drum kit, modem and phone connected to it in an extension, its in a different area to the room as well.

the problem i have is determing how much each uses, where do i find that information out. i looked on the inside of the plug but cant find anything.

one said 250 watts and i know the light should just be under 1 amp.

i know in general use it doesn't consume a lot of electricity, for instance compared to an xbox it takes no where near as much power from the meter (key meter)

i did find this http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/computers.html

based on what i have already read a single socket can handle 13amp, or 3000 volts (i think) so based on that the two monitors and computer shouldnt even take 300 volts.

my speakers probably take a bit more, couple hundred i would say.

taking a very rough estimate based on what i have read online i would say at the moment theirs no more than 1000volts, thats including a bit of room as well. but i honestly dont know

is it watts or volts

Sponsored Links
you're looking for the wattage rating

wattage / nominal voltage = amps

250/230 = 1.08 so a little over 1a.

Most devices will have the wattage rating printed on the transformer, base of it, etc. If you're under 13a for all 10 devices you should be ok. But I would definitely be thinking about getting a spark in to add you some more socket outlets.

To give you an example of amps used, I have a Mac Pro, 30" apple display, 21" TV, speakers, xbox & Airport Extreme plugged in, and the measured amps (not calculated) is 1.92a

I'm sure the calculated would be more like 10a

i did find this http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/computers.html

based on what i have already read a single socket can handle 13amp, or 3000 volts (i think) so based on that the two monitors and computer shouldnt even take 300 volts.

my speakers probably take a bit more, couple hundred i would say.

taking a very rough estimate based on what i have read online i would say at the moment theirs no more than 1000volts, thats including a bit of room as well. but i honestly dont know

is it watts or volts

it's watts, you have 230v give or take, that is standard and doesnt change, current (amps) / power (watts) is what changes

should be under 13 then, as a few plugs barely take anything, one is only 0.6a and theres only 4 items which are always on which would take the most.

might drill a hole tomorrow and put the modem line into the next room, don't want to start adding new plugs, not my house.

nah its cool i know the owners, and we kind of took the place on as good will i suppose as the previous tenant left it in a state. so in other words i can do what i want to the place without permission.

as long as theirs still a house left lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back