adapters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may sound a stupid question, but how many adapters should be plugged into a socket, I recently saw a four socket adapter plugged in, with a triple adapter plugged into that at a friends house. A total of 7 items plugged in. Is this safe??

Sponsored Links
are you talking extensions as in plug cable multisocket!!!!!

in general as long as you dont exceed the capacity of any components your ok as in total of 13amps unless theres a more limmiting factor

although its not best practice to run these sockets near to capacity as they are often poor quality and may heat up

i would say if the loading less than 2kw there should be enough margin for poor quality

this is only my opponion as i am a chippy not an electrician :D ;)

Yes its fine. i've got about 10 items plugged into a double socket here ;) . as long as the total wattage is no more than 3000 you will be ok. computer and tv stuff normally comes nowhere near that.

The multi-way extensions are very handy. Because they plug in, they are protected by the 13A fuse in their own plug (thanks to the UK's wonderful socket-ring-circuit design). Very popular for PC and TV/HiFi conglomerations which have lots of low-power appliances.

Not a good idea for big loads like washing machines, tumble driers or ovens.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back