american voltage =120v uk 240v. how can i convert

OK so THIS lamp could well be an unsuitable gift- for anyone in the UK - because of the voltage difference.
But there are many lamps that are designed with UK kids in mind, and there can't be many kids of 5 who are not totally familiar with table lamps of one kind or another, know that bulbs get hot, and have learned to live with them.
I really don't think Mavis is a bad parent!!
And I think some of you are underestimating the life skills of the average 5-year-old.

Sponsored Links
Ok, it is possible to get UK to US converters - they have a small transformer in them, and can power upto 500watt. I have several on my XMAS lights.

Lectrician said:
I have several on my XMAS lights.

would it not be easier to connect 2 sets in series instead?

A very good idea - the sets are coming to the end of their life anyway, I have no spare bulbs left (they seem to blow for a past time).

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
I think you are being irresponsible, giving a mains operated lamp to a 5 year old child,
You have not thought this through, lamp from America, 120 v lamp, switch may not be of correct rating for use over here, suitable sized lamp may get too hot, yackety yackety yackety, in short it is probably not designed for use in a european country. you still have time, bin the thing, and buy a decent responsible present

lamps are NOT toys. you give toys to children not mains operated lamps.

I can see the head lines now:

Irresponsible parent buys child U.S.A. Light, child electrocuted, now all shook up
BREEZER, AS TEXMEX SAID YOU ARE MAKING ASSUMPTIONS. THE LAMP IS NOT GOING TO BE A TOY BUT A NIGHT LIGHT USED BY ME FOR MY CHILD. MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT FIRST BEFORE INSULTING PEOPLE.

I THANK EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED IN MY DEFENCE.

AND FINALLY JUST FOR BREEZER-

WERE YOU SO LONESOME LAST NIGHT,
THAT YOU HAD TO GIVE ME A FRIGHT,
OR DID YOU JUST WANT TO BREAK MY CHILD'S HEART,
IS YOUR MEMORY DIM TO COMMIT SUCH A SIN,
OR SHALL I TRASH ALL YOUR MAIL IN THE BIN.

MAVIS HAS NOW LEFT THE COMPUTOR, THANK YOU.

MavisKent, it is you that should read posts, in particular your own, since you said
MavisKent said:
as the lamp is a christmas prezzie for my 5 year old.

prezzie / toy, same thing to 5 year old.

I also never insulted you, i merely stated my opinion, that to give a 5 year old child a light as "a prezzie" is irresponsible of you,
Also buying a light that as you said
MavisKent said:
I have recently purchased a lamp from America and thought a travel adaptor would enable me to use it

That just shows your ignorance really doesnt it, and even when you have been told that it is not designed to work in this country, you still insisit on "giving it as a prezzie" to a 5 year old.

now that does show you are irresponsible,

I sincerly hope that you soon learn the easy way, in the mean time have a safe christmas, but you may need this number 999 (i hope you do not have to use it)

breezer said:
I also never insulted you, i merely stated my opinion, that to give a 5 year old child a light as "a prezzie" is irresponsible of you,
Also buying a light that as you said
MavisKent said:
I have recently purchased a lamp from America and thought a travel adaptor would enable me to use it

at least he asked before trying it

Santa Clause (yes the real me) said:
Christmas is a time for happiness. This light is clearly not a gift for use as a toy, and I will be sending many gifts for Mavis's lad to play with......Ho Ho Ho

See, santa understands :p

Breezer, this is very unlike you, are you okay ? A bit strong here, there no harm in people asking question here & a difference approach might have been a bit better. Me too, we all do have our off days :cry:

I went to a lot of trouble to wire a circuit in each bedroom for each of my kids using SELV for the control circuit of a relay so they would not be in contact with 240V at the switch, but the fitting still uses 240V.

Breezer, my boys are 5 yo and 19 months - in a cot - (+ newborn, obviously not using his yet...) - am I being irresponsible?

Of course the 5 yo could leap out of bed, remove the lamp and stick his fingers in the BC socket while operating the PTM switch.....but would he?

As you said
securespark said:
I went to a lot of trouble to wire a circuit in each bedroom for each of my kids using SELV for the control circuit of a relay so they would not be in contact with 240V at the switch

that is responsible of you, but i see no mention of anything similar in origonal posters post, so from that you are agreeing with me, thanks for that. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back