America's stuff is not good

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've been in the states for years now. For those of you who know anything about this former colony it is not the glorious place TV makes it out to be. I've recently bought a new home and I'm searching for a new heating system.
Ideally a gas-combi boiler hot water and heating system. Alas, no such thing exists here. They prefer to use 5% efficiency systems like heating up air and blowing the air around the house through ducts!

I'm at the point of shipping one over from the UK and fitting it myself (maybe get a plumber to help me). Before i take this drastic action, i was wondering if anyone here knows if Americans DO actually ever use gas-combi boiler systems, Ive spent hours searching on the web, but maybe im just not using the correct "American English" terms.

Second, if i do import one from the US, anyone know of a system that would run off 110V, ideally it would accept a range 110-240 like laptops do.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Someone who used to post on here called Kevplumb has moved to the US.

He may be able to advise you but my limited experience is that the US is still 10 years behind the UK on energy efficiency. Dont you still pay less that $10 per gallon of gas?

In spite of what yiou say warm air systems are bery efficient because they only need to heat the air which has a very low specific heat and within 10 min the apartment is hot!

If you import a European boiler you will have problems with spares and servicing.

Always use whats local!

Tony

I rented a couple of places with forced hot air heat (ive been here 4yrs). The places did warm pretty quickly. Unfortunately places here are built very badly with poor materials the following is typical:

Heater kicks in - home warms up.
Thermostat sends message to heater saying "switch off, its hot"
Heater switches off, and INSTANTLY the hot air dissapears and you are back to sub-zero temps.

People outside the US wonder how its possible Americans can use so much energy. Its because they have no idea how to build stuff in the first place. You only have to look at what they drive and you will understand the problems they have with building homes and heating them.

I would love to use local materials, im not planning on using North Sea Gas! :)

Sponsored Links
He may be able to advise you but my limited experience is that the US is still 10 years behind the UK on energy efficiency. Dont you still pay less that $10 per gallon of gas?

In spite of what yiou say warm air systems are bery efficient because they only need to heat the air which has a very low specific heat and within 10 min the apartment is hot!

Tony

Price of fuel is about $4 a gallon tops I think. I was about $1.85 a gallon when I lived there in 2003, so in real terms, the yanks are having bigger price rises than us, plus they have gas guzzlers that do about 12 miles to the gallon :confused: I had a VW golf back then and remember filling up the tank for about $20 - happy days indeed. Half filling up my van now is costing £40 :(

I think I read a post on this forum that Viessmann now sell in the USA.

Anyway, if you get a Vitodens combination boiler, you can at least ask the lads here if you have problems. :)

Btw, I hated warm air systems with a passion. They dried out the skin and the minute you turn them off, you start to go cold :cry:

something like this?
http://www.viessmann.ca/web/canada/ca_publish.nsf/Content/Vitodens100_ca_english

It would heat my home and my hot water/showers etc.?

That would be awesome, i will call them tomorrow for details. Is this a product common in the UK and that heating system installers in the UK would recommend?

many thanks htgeng.

Balenza, this is also very helpful - thanks!
http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/index.php[/QUOTE]

THe Vitodens 200 is a better bet, assuming its available over there.

I would be grateful if when you make enquiries re your combi that you let us lot this side of the pond know if the vitodens 100 is available with Weather Temperature Compensation on your side of the pond

Tim

Viessmann Mfg. Co. Inc. announced the appointment of Richard Corcoran as general manager of Viessmann’s U.S. operations effective Sept. 1, 2007.

Based at the Viessmann U.S. Head Office here, Corcoran will be responsible for all aspects of Viessmann USA operations, including sales and distribution, marketing, customer service and internal operations.

“We are pleased to have Richard on board our team,” said Harald Prell, president of Viessmann North America. “Richard’s proven leadership and management abilities together with his many years in sales and distribution make him a definite asset to our U.S. and North American teams. We are confident that his appointment will help us achieve our long-term goals in the industry. We look forward to further drive our growth and strengthen our position in the U.S. market under Richard’s leadership.“

Corcoran brings 20 years of experience in the North American plumbing and heating industry to this position. Most recently, he was OEM sales manager, HVAC for Grundfos Pump Corp., where he was responsible for sales strategies and product development for the OEM and wholesale markets. Previously, Corcoran was owner of a manufacturer’s representative company in metropolitan New York before joining Grundfos as district sales manager. Corcoran is a member of American Society of Heating, Refrigerating & Air-Conditioning Engineers and the Gas Appliance Manufacturers Association/Hydronics Institute Education Committee; he is affiliated with the Hydronics Institute, the International Ground Source Heat Pump Association and the Radiant Panel Association.

Corcoran succeeds Edwin Nordstrom as general manager of Viessmann USA, who retired earlier in the year after 16 and a half years with the company. “Mr. Nordstrom was instrumental in growing Viessmann USA to the present size,” said Prell.

Corcoran can be reached at Viessmann in Warwick, R.I., at 800/288- 0667.

Website says the 200 is available. I will enquire tomorrow about the weather thingy on the 100and post my discovery.

I did some price checking on the 100s and 200s. 100s in UK seem to go for about 600 sterling (depending on watts) while 200s go for around 1,000. Over here best price i could find for the 100 was 3,500 dollars and only one price i could find for the 200 was 7,000 dollars! I hope i can find them cheaper than that!

http://www.viessmann.ca/web/canada/ca_publish.nsf/Content/Vitodens200_ca_english

ACV are distributed in the USA under a different name.

Three tubes, or something like that.

Bear in mind that your insulation will be the reason for energy losses; warm air heating is very efficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back