Amiga 600 (or A600)

9 pin dot matrix
We had a 9 pin Colour dot matrix!
After each line, the ribbon would flip up to the next colour and it would redo the line - excruciating! :mad:
I too had a hand scanner, and attempted a couple of fights with X-Cad 2000! :)

Sponsored Links
I was into the Demo scene and the music trackers (Pro Tracker and OptiMed), used to sample cd's etc.

Was never really good at it!.

What the "professionals" used to get out of 512kb and 4 channel 8 bit sound was amazing really.

I liked the whole package, the A500 was completely different to everything else with it's custom chips (Gary, Denise, Agnus and Paula).

Shame it all went tits up in the end, there's a YouTube video of the last walk around the Commodore factory.

The Amiga scene is still alive and kicking, plenty of new "Amigas" based on FPGA chips and the original machines are still supported.

We had a 9 pin Colour dot matrix!
After each line, the ribbon would flip up to the next colour and it would redo the line - excruciating! :mad:
I too had a hand scanner, and attempted a couple of fights with X-Cad 2000! :)

We had a Star dot matrix printer, which was mono, but I bought a ribbon with four bands of colour on it (black, red, yellow, blue). To get colour print-outs I used to put the ribbon in at different heights so I could print in the selected colour.

IMO, it was only good for the pirate game scene. I've had a go on an emulator in the past, raised a smile and brought back a memory or two, but otherwise was just meh. I don't really see any reason to use old tech when its no longer relevant.

It's still relevant if you can get some fun out of it! I still use a 22 year old iMac as it's got some useful software on it I use for genealogy and I like not having the distraction of the internet and all the constant reminders/popups.

First game I want to get going - if only for the beauty of it - is Agony. The graphics and music still stands up today IMO (on the indie game scene at least).

Sure most of it's just nostalgia and after a few hours I'll miss the convenience of today's OS's, but you can guarantee I'll be going back to it time and again.

Sponsored Links
We had a Star dot matrix printer, which was mono, but I bought a ribbon with four bands of colour on it (black, red, yellow, blue). To get colour print-outs I used to put the ribbon in at different heights so I could print in the selected colour.
I thought waiting for the ribbon to move itself was bad enough! :)
We had a Star LC100.

....and if you didn't know it was a thing :) :

Wow thought I'd never hear those noises again... sure I remember mine being even louder. That's YouTube dedication! Get the old HDD and floppy and you'd have a mini orchestra :D

It's still relevant if you can get some fun out of it! I still use a 22 year old iMac as it's got some useful software on it I use for genealogy and I like not having the distraction of the internet and all the constant reminders/popups.

First game I want to get going - if only for the beauty of it - is Agony. The graphics and music still stands up today IMO (on the indie game scene at least).

Sure most of it's just nostalgia and after a few hours I'll miss the convenience of today's OS's, but you can guarantee I'll be going back to it time and again.

The intro to Agony through a decent amp and speakers was epic!, Shadow of the beast as well.

Killing Game Show and R-type are worth a look, plus anything by the Bitmap Bothers..

The intro to Agony through a decent amp and speakers was epic!, Shadow of the beast as well.

Killing Game Show and R-type are worth a look, plus anything by the Bitmap Bothers..

Yes there were some really great intros.. luckily for me I can just about remember them, but I've forgotten how epic there were or didn't appreciate it at the time. I might have to pass the sound through my amp and Celestion Dittons. I'll look out for the titles. Thanks to the sites shared by @RandomGrinch I'll be able to whack them on floppy and discover all again.

The one I remember the most was the Hall of Fame music used when you were killed in PacMan Deluxe. I'll post it when I find it.

I'll be able to whack them on floppy and discover all again
Sorry, not so simple I'm afraid, due to 880K disc format :(
There are workarounds, but the easiest way is to have the adf's on the Amiga HDD/CF and write them on the Amiga side.

Sorry, not so simple I'm afraid, due to 880K disc format :(
There are workarounds, but the easiest way is to have the adf's on the Amiga HDD/CF and write them on the Amiga side.

I definitely used to use 1.44mb discs in the Amiga reader -- the ones I have are old PC discs written over with Amiga files. Maybe they were formatted in a special way, or maybe Dad had a different drive put in there back in the day, but they are definitely stamped 1.44mb.

If not though I've got a 4gb CF on order from that website you posted, so I can boot it up, install Workbench 2.0 and copy the files over (possibly onto the CF card if it's partitioned).

I always remember the uproar that accompanied the release of Cannon Fodder!
Hence the 'This game is not in any way endorsed by the Royal British Legion' disclaimer in the intro!

I was running Amicom, the unit will not work with a PC, so held onto my A1200 and A500 with hard drive intending to return to using Packet Radio, however just taking up loft space, so really time they are binned.

Not tried BayCom on modern PC, internet took over really. The A1200 had power out on serial port, PC didn't, but not even sure if my FT290 will still work, and last time I tried a CQ call seems only one other licensed guy in the area, so even if I did set it up to run BayCom no one to talk to.

Sponsored Links
Back