Amplifier for a Door Entry Handset.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced an old Elvox 8870 handset (AC Call, 5 wire) in my mother's flat, partly because it was old and scruffy and partly in the hope that a new one might have a louder speaker.

The replacement looks good and works as it should but although I can hear it perfectly well, my mother, who is hard of hearing, can't hear it properly. I've checked other flats and the sound level seems the same.

Is it possible to get an amplifier at the handset either built in or external (I appreciate that it would require a power supply) ?

I've tried googling and searching supplier websites but can only find amplifiers for the door end which, as indicated, is working normally.

Sponsored Links
If your mother is hard of hearing does she wear a hearing aid? If so she could switch it to "induction loop" or telephone mode.

I meant to mention that - no, she doesn't get on with hearing aids at all. She can use a telephone without a problem though, its just the combination of lower level and quality that makes it hard for her to hear.

The other flats have the same sound level as your mother's, or the same sound level as before you changed the handset?

There is probably an adjustment control in the speech unit at the front door, for amplifying speech to the handset, that might be able to be turned up a bit.

An amplifier that straps on to the handset could be used
http://www.connevans.co.uk/store/viewProduct.do?id=1364
To save having to take it on/off every time, it might be possible to wire the hookswitch to a toggle switch so the phone doesn't have to be left on-hook to disconnect.

Standalone amplifiers that connect to the handset with an induction pickup used to be widely available (similar to the above but they amplifier to loudspeaker volume), still available as a kit or assembled if you're able to put it together in a box
http://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/kits-modules-as3055-tpa-telephone-pickup-amplifier-module

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back