Ampy 5235a Electricity Meter

There is a separate meter for export. AFAIK that is the norm.
No. There is a separate FITS meter which records your generation. On small scale generation they use a percentage ratio to work out your export rather than install an import/export meter in place your old meter.

You get paid for your generation wether you use it or export it, if you export it, you get a couple pence more. You’re better to use it though, and save on your import bill. Heat water for example.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks.
I'm getting FiT for the original install. There is an 'export' meter attached to the system.
November generation was 52kWh, December 24kWh and Jan 35kWh.
The check/smart meter shows almost nothing on the export register. The import side of the check/smart meter seems to be about the same as the consumption meter.
Curious.

Cheers
Jon

There are times where a site just won’t export. The characteristics of the supply just inhibit it. On small scale generation you can connect without consultation with the DNO. With larger scale, they agree a connection agreement for both import and export. They ensure the characteristics will allow export. With your meter, it cannot impede the export. It is not faulty, it just doesn’t report any export. It reports RED as it can see reverse energy detected. It allows the energy through, it does not and cannot impede it. Your connection to the grid, through its impedance can.

No. There is a separate FITS meter which records your generation. On small scale generation they use a percentage ratio to work out your export rather than install an import/export meter in place your old meter.
That makes sense. However, if my (not even 'smart') meter is anything to go by (see above), it's possible that many of the meters being currently deployed may be capable of recording export and import.

In fact, how does an 'import only' meter behave if some exporting is going through it? (as I said before, I really can't see how any meter could 'block' export).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes.
Since installation in August 2014 its generated 5.4Mwh.
Cheers

Thanks Lectrician
You say "It is not faulty, it just doesn’t report any export. It reports RED as it can see reverse energy detected."

Why then does the check/smart meter show almost zero export? If the export is actually happening?
Cheers

Since installation in August 2014 its generated 5.4Mwh.
It sounds quite a lot when stated like that, but in the same period I have consumed over 40 MWh.

As BAS has implied, the main reason why it's been financially advantageous for you is that you are being paid an unrealistic price for your generation (subsidised by consumers who don't get FITs).

Kind Regards, John

Including consumers who die in cold weather because they cannot afford the electricity they need to keep alive.

That makes sense. However, if my (not even 'smart') meter is anything to go by (see above), it's possible that many of the meters being currently deployed may be capable of recording export and import.

In fact, how does an 'import only' meter behave if some exporting is going through it? (as I said before, I really can't see how any meter could 'block' export).

Kind Regards, John
Dial meters will literally clock backwards, and are meant to replaced. Digitals will as per this thread show RED, “reverse energy detected”. A meter which had import and export, and which is programmed correctly, should record what goes in and what goes out. The check meter installed may not be programmed correctly.

Thanks Lectrician
You say "It is not faulty, it just doesn’t report any export. It reports RED as it can see reverse energy detected."

Why then does the check/smart meter show almost zero export? If the export is actually happening?
Cheers

The check meter is not programmed correctly, there is nothing to export, or your connection characterises prevent export.

Many thanks.
'Prevent export' sounds like my experience. How is that even possible?

Cheers

Thanks ban-all-sheds for the reference to all other consumers paying for my FiT.
We all also have to pay for adventures in nuclear.
And the companies owning windfarms and fields full of panels where crops used to grow.
All generating infrastructure.

Many thanks.
'Prevent export' sounds like my experience. How is that even possible?

Cheers

As I said above, your impedance to the grid could just be too high to “encourage” export. Small scale generation like yours has no export agreement with the DNO. The fact it does/could export is a bonus. Larger scale would have an agreement in place for export, and the network designed to allow it.

What is your site? Rural? A long way from other neighbours? The end of a long run etc etc?

You could reverse the connections on your check meter so import and export are reversed. This would prove if the meter has been programmed to record export (some are not out the box).

Thanks ban-all-sheds for the reference to all other consumers paying for my FiT.
We all also have to pay for adventures in nuclear.
If that is needed it should be done out of taxes not by increasing the price of electricity to consumers.

And the companies owning windfarms and fields full of panels where crops used to grow.
They are commercial companies, no?

IF it is decided that the generating of electricity is to be a privatised concern, then let it be one, just as is the generating of cars.

In the 1920s and 30s did the government impose a levy on the price of bicycles to help fund the motor car manufacturers R&D and manufacturing investments?

Dial meters will literally clock backwards, and are meant to replaced. Digitals will as per this thread show RED, “reverse energy detected”.
That makes sense. I presume that it records nothing (kWh) when it is displaying 'RED'?
A meter which had import and export, and which is programmed correctly, should record what goes in and what goes out. The check meter installed may not be programmed correctly.
Indeed. As I wrote ...
If a check meter (assuming it is one that can cope with exports) is indicating no export, then one can but assume that nothing is being exported.
I don't know whether my (digital) meter is programmed to record export (although the spec indicates that it clearly has that ability), but it has certainly been programmed/configured such that I only have access to the import registers. It also seemingly records, or can be programmed to record, 'RED' events - functionality which I assume would probably be disabled in an import/export situation.

Am I right in saying that, as far as a digital meter is concerned, there is no magic or 'rocket science' about export - in the sense that it is simply an extension of the 'usual' (with import only) ability to cope with V-A phase differences in the range ±90° (i.e. PFs of 0 to +1) to the situation in which the phase difference is in the range ±(90-180)° (i.e. PFs in the range 0 to -1) ?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back