landis+gyr 5235a red display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Landis+Gyr 5235a electricity meter in the suppliers box which is showing a display of "red" or at least a display from numeric digital display which looks like "red". This alternates with the normal consumption meter reading.

What does this mean?

Sponsored Links
Rather odd. Its not when you use NO electric is it? These meters (I have one) show a constant red light when theres no electric being drawn. Maybe this is a variant of this red light.

EDIT:

Just researched a little, as I was intrigued.

From here:
http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Markets/Ret...1/5560-manufacturer_poll_response_summary.pdf PAGE 5

If reverse energy is detected in Ampy meters above a defined current limit for a
pre-determined period of time then a flag can be set (if the utility wishes to
have the option enabled). This causes the display to alternate between the
current tariff and an indicator message 'rEd' (reverse Energy detected).

BUT this is for AMPY meters, not L&G, but it seems too much of a co-incidence.

Post up a picture of the wires from the meter and where they go. A wider shot photo. If your meter is connected backwards, it might not register any useage and this requires urgent attention from your supplier.

Sponsored Links
You have cracked it. We have just had Solar Photovoltaic Panels fitted and this would cause the reverse current. So the situation is normal. I wondered if a fault had been detected not having had any information from the installation company that this could result.

thanks for the research.

I had hoped they (electricity company) would have changed the meter for a "Smart" meter but I understand they (meter company) havn't made enough to satisfy demand so perhaps they (electricity company) are waiting on that before they change it.

Hi
i am new and have the same problem as MacNala
has with"rEd"
My son tampered with our new digital electric meter using some kind of a transformer, now meter flashing with word “rEd “
I think this is going to cause us a problem when meter reader comes.
Any Idea how to resolve this problem?
Or what is the best excuse we can give to stop them to go any further.
Any comment very much appreciated

In the front of the Meter says
Landis Gyr+
Property of Eon
Type 5235A

My son tampered with our new digital electric meter using some kind of a transformer, now meter flashing with word rEd
Your only option is to contact your electricity supplier immediately and tell them what happened - i.e. the truth.

Making up lies, just hoping the problem will go away or waiting for someone to visit and read the meter will make things much worse.

What on earth??? How exactly did he tamper with it?! What was he trying to achieve? Electricity fraud is a serious crime.

Your electricity supplier will charge you dearly to put any fault right. I suggest you take it from your son's pocket money. . .

And whats with all the hijacked posts lately.

can you tell me how can some one reset this meter ?

You mean its been over a month and you havent told your supplier? With every day that passes they will be less and less impressed.

My son tampered with our new digital electric meter using some kind of a transformer, now meter flashing with word rEd
Your only option is to contact your electricity supplier immediately and tell them what happened - i.e. the truth.

Making up lies, just hoping the problem will go away or waiting for someone to visit and read the meter will make things much worse.

That advice in September was the best and only advice you needed.

You need to get it reset before the meter reader spots the signs of tampering.

Some meters have an internal log of past events. That doesn't get cleared by a reset so tamper signs will still be there, OWN UP

Repeat. your best option, maybe only option, it to tell your supplier what happened.

My old meter started flashing rEd after a power cut.

In hindsight now I know what it stands for I guess that when the power went off the momentum of the tumble drier / washing machine rotating to a stop could have acted as a sort of dynamo and sent power out of the house.

It was like that for probably 3 or 4 years until it got changed when I switched suppliers and none of the meter readers or the guy who changed it ever mentioned it. I even asked one of them what it meant and he said I must be connected to the red phase :rolleyes:

I too am intrigued by how you son managed to interfere with the meter, but in all seriousness tell the supplier ASAP that the meter is not working and be honest over what happened.

Also, not sure how old your son is or what he did but be aware that the only fuse protecting the meter is at best 60A but more likely 100A and won't blow to save a life (thats not what its for) , its quite easy for an inquisitive young mind to push something up alongside the meter tails and the result can easily be death, keep him away from the meter cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back