landis+gyr 5235a red display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi my name is Richard and am a meter electrician.

The red means that the meter has had a reverse flow of electricity. there is a built in reverse register but is never displayed. this is experienced in reverse polarity situations or where power flow runs backwards throught he meter ie solar panels etc. its nothing to be concerned about and the forward register will function correctly as far as i understand. Explanation was given to me when i experienced the same from Landis Gyr the manufacturer of the meter.

hope this was useful.

Sponsored Links
this is experienced in reverse polarity situations
Reverse polarity will not make power flow backwards.

And as the voltage between L & N varies from +325V to -325V 50 times a second, how would the meter detect reverse polarity?

or where power flow runs backwards throught he meter ie solar panels etc. its nothing to be concerned about
No even if there are no known sources of power such as a generator, wind turbine, solar PV etc?

Can I jump in on this one please?

I have a Solar PV system and my understanding was that when the wattage potential on my fuse box, being supplied by the inverter output, was higher than the wattage being used in the house and other users on the same phase were drawing current it would cause reverse flow thru my meter and the meter would read the 'net' figure with the display flashing 'rEd' and when more than 1kW was being drawn the red imp/kwh LED would be on (which it is).

Its not that I am using more than 1kwh but that more than 1kwh is flowing thru the meter in the reverse direction.

Is this not correct?

be lucky

Any Power that is generated by your solar equipment that you do not use will go through the meter into the grid for somebody else to use, yes.

Depending on the type of meter you have will depend on how this energy is recorded.

If you have the same meter as at the start of this post then RED (Reverse Energy Detected) will be displayed, because as it suggests Reverse Energy has been detected but this will not record what you have put into the grid.

If you have some kind of micro generation equipment like Solar or a small wind turbine etc etc then ideally you should have what is known as an IMPORT EXPORT meter.

This will measure what you IMPORT (use from the grid) and what you EXPORT (Put back into the grid) and depending what tariff your on and the supplier your with etc, you will usually be paid for what your EXPORT.

Some micro generation setups include a meter which isn't the DNO's and while these can measure how much you generate, they can not tell you what you put back into the grid and will cause your DNO meter to display RED or sometimes stop if you have a standard meter.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for clearing my mind on that.

I have seperate Imput and Export meters.

'My' Export meter against which the Export tariff is paid by the supplier on 50 percent of the reading and the FIT tariff on the total reading.

I pay them against 'their' Input meter reading.

It does appear that the Input meter reading does not increase whilst the 'rEd' warning is displayed on it.

be lucky

That looks exactly like I was thinking about.
I suppose I have to get Eon to fit it?

If your on a tariff that pays you for what you put into the grid your supplier should have fitted the above type of meter.

Otherwise how do they know what you have put in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back