An acceptable repair to a ridge tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago we lost one of the ridge tiles which was a fairly standard Redland half round tile. This was recently repaired by a local builder that we have used before for other jobs. I assumed that the existing mortar bed that was left behind would be removed and the new tile laid onto a new bed.

From a distance the job looks ok but a neighbour said that when they did the work they just glued (not sure what with) the new tile onto the existing mortar bed and used an angle grinder to remove any irregularities from the existing bed.

I wasn't charged a lot for the job but I am more keen to ensure this is a valid way to do the repair. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sometimes the residual mortar is so well stuck to the recipient tiles that vigorous removal can cause the tiles to break.
We have used an angle grinder in the past also. We have also wholly replaced the tiles beneath rather than struggle with existing mortar.
Depends what is necessary really. You can get a good bond to existing well stuck stuck mortar as long as you brush off and damp down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back