An American's view

Sponsored Links
Saw that the other day and it made me smile. My missus is American, and living here does make me realise how many things I took for granted, and are also better, in the UK. That said, not everything in the US is as bad as it is made out to be in the news and many things here are better (people included). At the end of the day, it all evens itself out.

Last edited:
An interesting list.
Some things are true; some are quite incorrect.
For example, 'There are far fewer fat English people'.
Not in my experience, there aren't!

Of course, by commenting on the habits of the perceived generic English tribe, he has also commented on the US one.

Sponsored Links
An interesting list.

I know what you mean but, believe me, there are a hell of a lot more fat people over here - even the supermarkets cater for them, with motorised shopping carts by the dozen. In the UK we only tend to have a few of those for the genuinely disabled/injured people but here nobody seems to looks twice (except for me :D) if a lardass gets into one and heads for the cake section.

An interesting list.

I know what you mean but, believe me, there are a hell of a lot more fat people over here - even the supermarkets cater for them, with motorised shopping carts by the dozen. In the UK we only tend to have a few of those for the genuinely disabled/injured people but here nobody seems to looks twice (except for me :D) if a lardass gets into one and heads for the cake section.
Somewhat harsh. However, the one thing that irritates me is the seemingly divine right of those riding those machines to take up all of the aisle or walkway without any care, attention nor consideration for anyone else, regardless of their needs.

I particularly like the "Their education is better then ours." ;);) (It undoubtedly is)
Yes, I see your point!

But you're right. I have read a number of articles that confirm our education system is sadly lacking these days. Personally, I feel those responsible are the government, education 'experts' and, of course, our 'equality do-gooders'.

One interesting point he makes is that 'the reason we drive on the left is because our cars are built backwards'!
Of course, there is a perfectly logical reason why we drive on the left: in mediaeval times riders passed by their right hand side in case they needed to draw their swords to defend themselves.
What I'd really be interested in learning is why the Americans (and Europeans, and other misguided fools) decided to drive on the right. I've often wondered about what advantages there may be, but cannot think of any.
Perhaps a subject for debate? :D

the one thing that irritates me is the seemingly divine right of those riding those machines to take up all of the aisle or walkway without any care, attention nor consideration for anyone else, regardless of their needs.
No, they are just behaving the same as nearly everyone else.

What I'd really be interested in learning is why the Americans (and Europeans, and other misguided fools) decided to drive on the right. I've often wondered about what advantages there may be, but cannot think of any.
Perhaps a subject for debate? :D

You are correct about the sword and keeping left.
http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver’s seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.

In Russia, in 1709, the Danish envoy under Tsar Peter the Great noted the widespread custom for traffic in Russia to pass on the right, but it was only in 1752 that Empress Elizabeth (Elizaveta Petrovna) officially issued an edict for traffic to keep to the right. In addition, the French Revolution of 1789 gave a huge impetus to right-hand travel in Europe. The fact is, before the Revolution, the aristocracy travelled on the left of the road, forcing the peasantry over to the right, but after the storming of the Bastille and the subsequent events, aristocrats preferred to keep a low profile and joined the peasants on the right. An official keep-right rule was introduced in Paris in 1794, more or less parallel to Denmark, where driving on the right had been made compulsory in 1793.

Actually, it would seem that driving on the right seems to have been chosen intentionally by countries merely because they didn't like 'us'.

I should have known that the Frogs might be at the bottom of this driving on the right nonsense.

Somewhat harsh. However, the one thing that irritates me is the seemingly divine right of those riding those machines to take up all of the aisle or walkway without any care, attention nor consideration for anyone else, regardless of their needs.

That was my main point really - they get into the carts, zip around (genuinely going to the junk food sections) and reverse without looking just because they have a warning beep on the cart, i.e., they expect other shoppers to just get out of their way without any regard for them. I have no issue with people being fat, except for when they have let themselves get to the point of being so fat (or should that really be lazy) that they can't walk more than fifty steps without being on the verge of collapse.

Edit:
Judge for yourselves, but I think most will agree that the majority of the people in this snippet are only in those scooters due to their size...and there are literally dozens of these people every time I go to the 'grocery store'.

Last edited:
Good God, what a collection. I think most of those would require TWO or possibly even THREE aircraft seats, effectively giving them the opportunity of at least half price air tickets.

I know we're not supposed to comment adversely, or even laugh at them, but I think some of those in this country have quite a shock coming their way when compulsory health insurance arrives. Their premiums will hit the roof, and rightly so.

Sponsored Links
Back