An opening for extension on the corner of the house; doable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Before I start, i don't intend to do this myslef - but I am trying to save myself some cash on some planning docs by drawing them up myslef using some old plans for previous work as a base.

Anyway, the extension I propose works best if the route from the main house to the extension is created on the corner of the existing house.

It is single story only so the corner of the house (which supports first floor and roof etc) would need some sort of support.

Is this doable? I imagine there is some clever way of supporting this through steel etc?

Diagram:

Darrenh

Sponsored Links
Easiest way would be to sling a beam through from side of existing house (top of sketch) to rear of extension (right hand side of sketch). Beam could possibly sit on dividing wall in extension but that would limit you if you ever wanted to open up the rooms in the future. Then another beam supporting the rear of the existing house, connecting at a right angle to the first beam.

Thank you. Like you say I am keen not to divide the extension like this. I also want the ceilings vaulted. Is there another way?

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, you want the door opening at an angle under the corner of the existing house?

To hide the steelwork within the vaulted ceiling would be complicated and expensive, although anything is possible. Would be easier and cheaper to do as I said previously and if you decide to open up into a single room, then encase the beam in plasterboard or timber.

Or put the door somewhere else...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back