Anchor bolts… which one ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a wood storage rack in the garage on a brick wall. The instructions are rubbish and the manufacturer is unwilling to suggest the correct bolts to use. The shelf bars are 25mm in depth and the holes looks about 6mm in size. The bolt need to support 50-75kgs.. however I’m not sure which ones to use for this.

Can anyone suggest the correct anchor bolts to use.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What size are the fixing holes in the racks? If the holes are 6mm, then use 5mm Rawlbolts, assuming the bricks are solid bricks. They may not work if the bricks are of the lightweight variety, with three holes in them.

You might find the threaded stud with a separate nut type better, than the type with a bolt.

Last edited:
What size are the fixing holes in the racks? If the holes are 6mm, then use 5mm Rawlbolts, assuming the bricks are solid bricks. They may not work if the bricks are of the lightweight variety, with three holes in them.

You might find the threaded stud with a separate nut type better, than the type with a bolt.
Hi, i believe the hole will take a 6mm Rawlbolt, how do you work out the type of bolt to use with the stud? Is it simply m6 bolt but longer??

Hi, i believe the hole will take a 6mm Rawlbolt, how do you work out the type of bolt to use with the stud? Is it simply m6 bolt but longer??
Stud can be captive to the Rawlbolt, but needs to poke out of the Rawlbolt by around 2", if your frame is 1" thick. Some Rawlbolts are a type which have a thread, what you don't want is the thread passing out through the back of the Rawlbolt, so as you tighten it, it bottoming so it is trying to push the Rawlbolt out.

Face of Rawlbolt, should be level, or slightly below the wall surface and it's often easier to tighten the bolt up, so the Rawlbolt grips in the hole, before adding the bracket or whatever you are intending fixing.

Sponsored Links
My favourite strong fixing for almost everything that needs more than a plastic plug is expanding brass anchors https://www.fischer.co.uk/en-gb/products/standard-fixings/metal-anchor/brass-fixing-ms used with threaded bar. A couple of lock nuts on the bar to wind it in to the anchor with a spanner, cut off to length and pop a nut on to complete the fixing. Always the right depth and the thread bar is always the right length because you cut it to fit.

If I had confidence in the bricks I would be happy with 6x brown plugs and wood screws for that.

Fischer SX8 40mm nylon plugs with 70mm M6 coach screws and washers.
You'll be able to climb it.

Normal 4 or 5mm screws and 7 or 8mm plugs (brown/blue) will do as the loads are vertical.

Maximum loading, will be on the top most fixing.

Top most above the load or top most/the top fixing of the rack

I would have thought that loading would be shared between each fixing if evenly loaded up the rack , or at least loads shared mainly between the two nearest fixings of differing loads.

Top most above the load or top most/the top fixing of the rack

I would have thought that loading would be shared between each fixing if evenly loaded up the rack , or at least loads shared mainly between the two nearest fixings of differing loads.

Force to pull away from wall will be in sheer - lowest fixing will form the hinge or pivot point. Get a good fixing at the top, and the other fixings are less important, they only need to provide mostly vertical support.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back