ancient shower tray-removal of

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered best way to remove this old Ideal Standard shower tray, was thinking of a sledgehammer but would a heavy hammer and chisel be as good?
shower tray.jpg
shower tray.jpg
shower tray.jpg

Sponsored Links
You need a shot pulled further away so folks can see whats between the tray and the floor and whats the floor constructed from?

what you have looks like a Belfast sink converted for use as a shower tray.
dont smash it, they are worth a few bob.

cut away the bottom course of tile and release the sink from any plaster board or plaster or adhesive etc.
then attempt to spin out the chrome waste, an then disconnect the trap and waste pipe from underneath.
you might have to remove a second course of tiles an the one piece jambs to lift an pull the sink out.
anyhow make sure the thing is released all around before attemptin to move it, Belfast sinks are heavy.

thanks but I don't think I want the hassle of trying to preserve it. difficult to take pic at good angle but here is another. Have looked underneath by drilling some viewing holes into wood side panel. It sits on a brick or concrete beam that someone has just put on the concrete floor. the beam is not part of the building but just the length of the tray. the white panel underneath the tray hides the beam
tray.jpg

Sponsored Links
remove the white painted plinth by carefuly prising it out. use a decorators nife to start.
when the panel is off you can reach in, hopfuly, with grips an detach the backnut from the waste tail.
it will be just as much or as little trouble removing the sink in one piece as smashing it out.
smashing it out might cause hairline grout cracks from the vibrations or even cause a tile or two to drop.

what you have looks like a Belfast sink converted for use as a shower tray.
It is a shower tray and not a converted sink.

If you can get it out, some fool will pay good money for it. I had a dozy customer once who paid over £100 for one on ebay and wanted me to fit it. Weighed a ton and had to go up 2 flights of stairs. Thankfully it wouldn't fit where she wanted it and its now full a slimy green water in her garden. Personally, I'd smash it and skip it.

Thanks for all your thoughts but going back to my original question, sledgehammer or club hammer?

Thanks for all your thoughts but going back to my original question, sledgehammer or club hammer?
I would suggest covering it with blankets or something before you hit it or fragments of razor sharp glaze can fly off and cut you ,or worse, take your eye out.
You dont need a sledge to crack a nut a smaller hammer in the right place will do the job.
Start at the open edge hitting outwards and take small bites at a time.
I fitted a new white one like yours in the early 70s which was good as new when we left 45 years later.

Hi L
Thanks for the tips, especially regards the blanket, I wouldn't have thought of that, I would wear glasses but that may not be enough.

rhinosaw,you seem to be adopting the "you cant touch it" rule. Maybe consider using an MC hammer approach.

thank you youtube (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back