Ancient towel rail not heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had the plumber round to fit a new pump. The port valve was also changed. Now the ancient towel rail is cold, having been reliably hot before. I can feel the pipes are hot near the floor. I have unscrewed the chrome covers at the top and tried bleeding it. I'm getting some bubbles then water escapes. Leaving it for a bit then the same thing. Should the big tap near the bottom be screwed in or out? I know the plumber was fiddling with it, but don't know if he left it as he found it. I've also bled the two radiators on the floor above. The ones on the same floor seem fine. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What big valve do you refer to ? Can you post pics of rad valves ?

20181102_182301.jpg radiator valve.jpg
Hi terryplumb, thanks for replying. I've tried bleeding it again but only get a few spitty bubbles out before the water runs cleanly. The black knob is wound out as far as it will go. When I got back from work the lower part on the black knob side was slightly warm. I ran a bath and it all went cold again.

With your central heating on ,turn off all other radiators by their thermostatic valves ( assuming you have them ,they usually have a large plastic head with numbers on them) . then check the towel rad after 5 mins see if its heating up.

Sponsored Links
Hi Terry. I tried that and it didn't heat up. Also the bit of warmth it had before wasn't there any more. I've now tried turning the radiators on high the same floor and those above and the heat at the bottom came back a bit. I'm still trying bleeding it, bubbly water at first then shutting it off when the water flows freely, but the heat at the bottom isn't increasing. I think this towel is connected to the hot water circuit.

If you put programmer onto hot water only ,does towel rail heat up ? Has the valve on the right hand side of the towel rad been closed down ?

I tried the hot water only aspect and it didn't heat up, although I might not have waited long enough. The plumber said he didn't want to touch the right hand valve in case he broke it so I'm assuming it is still open.

Cant help wondering why the plumber was doing anything to the towel rad ,changing a pump and a port valve would not need him to do anything more than bleed air from the top of it. It seems like one or both valves to it are not open ,especially the black one.

There is now a conclusion to this matter. The plumber had turned the rail valve a little bit, but he thought not enough to turn it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back