And another boiler problem - I am jinxed!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, yes, Laura the boiler murderer is back, this time with boiler in the flat upstairs from mine, which I own freehold (i.e. its the leaseholder's boiler, I'm doing her a favour here).

Its a gas potterton, looks pretty old and knackered to be honest (not a combi boiler, the other kind with a big water tank), but we had builders in on an insurance job and they turned it off to remove a couple of rads to be plastered behind. When the rads went back on the heating now doesn't work. They thought it was an airlock, she's been bleeding the rads but none of them are seemingly leaking air (so's u can feel it) or, strangely, leaking water. (is this cos central heating is not on?)

But that may well be due to the fact that although the pilot light is working, only the pilot is on, the flame doesn't go to its normal size and heat any hot water (so as well as no hot water she currently has no central heating.)

The sticker on the boiler says if the pilot light goes out (as when boiler is turned off) turn the control valve to off and leave for three minutes before doing the relighting procedure. We did this, it went woomph, went big and heated up about a nanosecond of water, then went out again and now won't go on at all. Is this something to do with the dial that goes from 0, to 1, 2, 4 then max? Is it not connected properly? And did we only notice it cos the boiler has now been switched off and attempted to relight?

Hate to say it but we can't keep sharing a shower and I know if the poor thing calls a plumber he'll just charge her two grand to replace the boiler instead!

HELP ME I'M A POOR DEFENCELESS WOMAN WHO KNOWS NAAAHTHING!

;) Laura

Sponsored Links
I've just been told it could be the thermo coupling, this ring anyone's bell?

Laura...

Could be, or could be the gas valve or just needs a service.
It will not be a diy job and you need to get a Corgi in. :D

P.S Laura , do you come here often? ;)

Sponsored Links
eye_anim.gif
eye_anim.gif

Hmm, I'm sure you're all mad.

Kev your see this was very helpful. (?) :confused:

No I didn't think it was a diy job (there's no way I'd open the thing up, I'd get blown up knowing my luck), but its more to see whether the builders should pay for buggering it up or whether it is just something that was at fault before but has only surfaced cos the boiler was switched off. As much ammo as poss with these cowboys you know!!!

Anyway, she's got a plumber in now thank god so I can not worry about it!!!!

I'll have to think of something else so I can come back and chat... :D

Laura...

Hi Laura.
Post us a picture of yourself next time you post.
The more pretty you are, the more help will be given I'm sure. :LOL:

Now I really do think you're all mad. I don't have a photo at work but I'm sure I can find one for next time...although because I'm always talking I look like a pratt in photos!!

What's with all the Carry On pics? Do I detect an obsession or just a private joke?

I'm going home now to do some electrics. I can multitask you know.

Laura :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back