Pilot Light Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boiler that runs my central heating and my hot water. My problem is that the pilot light went out. I have tried to relight it but can't make it stay on. It ignites but goes out as soon as I release the gas button. The gas still works in the rest of the house (hob etc).

PLEASE HELP as I currently have no heating!

Sponsored Links
This might be obvious but how long are you holding the button down for as this needs to be long enought to heat up a thermostat that keeps the gas supply on. mine used to take about 15 seconds before the pilot will stay alight but try longer.

If this does not work then I suspect the pilot thermostat has failed. this happened to me in the past.

I have held it down for varying amounts of time. Upto about 5 minutes

I have heard it might be the thermocoupler. How much will it cost and how easy is it to fix!

Sponsored Links
almost sure to be the thermocouple.

you should find it mounted to poke into the pilot flame with a single semi rigid (ok to bend this but not to tight a radius) cable back to a nut type fixing. So it's just a remove and replace job.

mine was very cheap (under a fiver i think) from the local hardware store. I took off the old one to make sure the new one was right.

good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back