And I thought the doors were expensive..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
come to pricing up door cases, architrave and skirting boards and wow.. The bits of wood to go round a fancy door cost the same as a door..

Where would you recommend I get my door cases/architrave/skirt from?
Alternatively, is it cost effective to buy strip wood and assemble my own cases? I'm not so interested in fancy mouldings/routings and I have a large table saw for ripping lengths (I've seen oak skirting at 70mm for £6 a metre, 140mm for 8 a metre.. I'd be happy to rip it in half and have my downstairs a different profile to upstairs)

Sponsored Links
dont buy linings from a shed then,last time i looked they were almost double the cost.

if it was mine i would do as you propose.

This wasn't exactly from a shed (in the terms I think of it - wickes, b&q, topps tiles etc) but a dedicated door company..

Example unfinished pricings:
oak veneered glazed door - £125
oak architrave for one side - £30
oak door liner - £65

So yeah, pretty much the casing doubles the door cost.. Anyone care to comment on whether these are expensive/cheap/average?

If it'd be far more cost effective to assemble my own from strip wood, any recommendations on where I can buy oak strip wood and beading? Would a local dedicated timber merchant be the best option?

A veneered door at £125 is very much a budget product.

Sponsored Links
125 is ex vat, and after I've twisted every discount arm I can.. Normally more in the 200 to 250 range

Local timber merchant does oak at 1550 a cube, which makes a 4.2m length of 7x1 about 29 quid.. How is that for a price? They apparently have machinery on site and can prepare anything I like in terms of size and profile, I've just no idea what a realistic going rate for oak strip wood is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back