Tools needed for skirting & architraves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am renovating a house and I am going to install oak skirting throughout, as well as some door frames and architraves.

I have always fancied buying some proper woodworking tools with a view to making some furniture at some point. I'm trying to pursuade my wife that the cost of all the rouch sawn timber plus the tools wouldn't be much more than buying ready-made skirting etc.

So far, I'm looking at a Woodster PT85 Planer / Thicknesser from Screwfix. Ideally I'd like a table saw and a spindle moulder, but it's getting a bit pricey now. I have a jigsaw and a router already but I think that'll be tough.

Does anyone have any advice as to what options I have? Perhaps a combination machine of some sort? How easy would it be to use a cheap circular saw for ripping the boards down?

Thanks,
Orv

Sponsored Links
You've got pretty much what you need. The router should be fine depending on what type of moulding you want.
I'd add a sander to your list, I've got a 4" belt sander and a couple of orbitals which cover almost everything.
Don't forget the hand tools too, a jack plane isvery useful and I often find a rebate plane pays its way with this sort of work.
Wheather it will work out cheaper is possibility a mute point but it is rewarding and satsifying and of course after the skirting is done and your wife wants that built in wardrobe you'll have all the tools to hand :cool: :D
Oh yes the cheap saw- it'll do the job but don't force it.

Very useful reply. Thanks.

I looked up what a jack plane was and I have one of those. It was my grandfather's and it's about 50 years old but it still works :)

I also looked up rebate plane and I think I'll get one of those as well.

I have an orbinal sander. Tick!

I'm thinking of having a Lambs Tongue profile. Not sure whether that's possible with a hand-held router.

Orv

I don't know how much physical effort you want to put in but there are always old moulding planes to consider too. They may sound like hard and slow work , especially if you have a lot to do, but they are still very useful. I have a shelf of moulding planes in my workshop which are of course already "set up" and are great for short runs.

Sponsored Links
I've never heard of a moulding plane before. I thought I'd buy to to try out but they are pretty hard to find! I think I'll stick to the router.

you wont be able to do anything much other than bullnose as you need a 1/2" router and table for the size off cutter

you can however make unique designs with several passes
http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/productlist/3/7/edge_mouldings.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. There are so many to choose from!

I am thinking of getting this:
http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/dra...230v-bench-mounted-spindle-moulder-09536.html

I assume this would be okay for moulding skirting and architraves?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back