Angle Grinder 'not for use with diamond discs'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I was bought the el cheapo 4.5" angle grinder from b&q (PAG750A). I thought It would be Ok for the few needs I have for one. Unfortunately my research (or the b&q website) was not overly great.
So, I know it's cheap, I should invest in better etc etc. But the jobs are (were) small.

I want to cut concrete cast paving slabs. OK, so with a small grinder I'll have to go at it from both sides (finish is not important, the cut sides will be buried). Unfortunately I'm now looking at cutting 4off 600mm slabs in half (as opposed to just one) on my first job.

The operating manual says 'This product may not be used with coated abrasives or super abrasives such as diamond cutting wheels'

Why? From what I have read:
>Resin discs will take me all day and I'll need dozens of them.
>Someone suggested that diamond blades are thinner and it may cause issue with the disc mounting arrangement. I cannot see an issue in this respect with this cutter.
>A diamond blade might not work that well as the speed might not be up to it.

Apart from not being able to sue b&q when my arm is cut off, is there a good reason beyond 'cause it says so' that I shouldn't use a diamond cutter?

(I have full body covering ready, so I'm not a complete idiot :rolleyes: )

Cheers
Al

Sponsored Links
Whatever disc you use Al, it should specify its safe rotating speed.....although its unlikely that it will fly apart, it won't last so long!
For your job, I'd be inclined to use a petrol stone cutting saw, or at least a 9" grinder.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If you are going to attempt using this toy town grinder to cut the slabs then you are better off scoring the face side then carefully bolstering the back. Lay the slab on the lawn when bolstering or lay it on some levelled sand.

It will work.

If you have any shaped cuts, forget the baby grinder and hire or buy one that is man enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back