annoying radiator pipe collar and limited gap for trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finishing up the trim to a bay window where I've just fitted new laminate.

Some years ago this radiator was fitted to the bay window, even though the larger side of the brackets were used the radiator does not protrude enough from the wall for me to get a trim in behind, even without the pipe collar that you can see I've fitted.

IMG_1162.JPG

Not realising at the time that there are flat versions of the pipe collars.

An example of a trim offcut placed loosely against the skirting and collar:

IMG_1164.JPG

What are my options for the best possible finish ?

It's too late to refit the radiator unfortunately, and I sense that using flat collars and sliding the trim in behind would result in a very messy/gashed finish, as practically all the trim has to be removed to get it in behind the pipe. It's an 18mm scotia, and I could use a smaller one, say a 15mm or even 9mm? But then how does that fit to the 18mm elsewhere in the room?

Bit of a screwy job due to me not noticing the issue beforehand ;(

Sponsored Links
I would either continue as you are and replicate the trim angle in reverse on the other side of the pipe trim, possibly adding a small amount of filler, or using a coping saw to curve it into the pipe trim- or cut a small bite out of the 18mm trim, so it fits behind the pipe, and cut the pipe trim so it fits at the front only?

Most people won't even notice- just you will

best finish would be remove the skirting board and lift it slightly, then run the floor underneath it.

But I'm guessing having cut the floor short, you can't do that. Next option is just as above cut the pipe size out of the trim and cover the area with sealant as appropriate. Consider doing away with the round pipe trim and using something flatter if it helps.

Run up against a problem of having to fit the trim to the bend, god knows how they got the skirting on originally. The concave shape is too great for me to hold the trim up against it and I've already split one section in half trying to do it. I suspect there is a method to fit his properly? I don't think doing it in small sections will help either because shorter lengths are even less cooperative than longer ones. Help ?

IMG_1165.JPG

Sponsored Links
Make lots of cuts on the inside then colour and fill as appropriate

Make lots of cuts on the inside then colour and fill as appropriate

How likely is this to work? Now considering it as an option. What distance apart to make the cuts? I run the risk of ruining the entire length of trim.

Is that plastic trim?
Does it get more bendy if you soak it in hot water?

How likely is this to work? Now considering it as an option. What distance apart to make the cuts? I run the risk of ruining the entire length of trim.
I assume you have spare! Practise on a bit. You can cut outside or inside the bend, or alternately. As close together as possible without it becoming weak. Have a go on an offcut and see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back