1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Annual maintenance budget

Discussion in 'Building' started by dcdec, 17 Nov 2012.

1. dcdec

dcdec

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All,

My GF is currently looking at purchasing a house. She is keen to buy a country property or certainly something old and probably listed rather than a new or recently built place.
    In my experiance as a dec i know having worked on quite a few big buildings and old ones that maintanence can be quite high and the more switched on buyers understand that its not the price tag but price tag plus annual costs that they must consider. Its all very well being able to buy a property but maintaining it can be a struggle.
    So i'm wondering if there is anyway of estimating annual costs perhaps by taking a percentage of the properties value on a yearly basis. This would be after any initial costs and improvements are made following purchase.

I realise this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string question' but i'd be interested if there is a rough guide or formula and thanks in advance for any replies

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A proper survey would detail current issues and things which will need attention in the short, medium and long term, together with costs and priorities.

Otherwise, no, there is no formula and no % of purchase price will go on maintenance

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. dcdec

dcdec

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks woody, i thought it's probably the case as its too hard to calculate these things. Yep, told her she must have a full survey as well

5. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just remember to instruct the surveyor that you want comment on current and future maintenance liabilities and estimated costs

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That'll do it! :mrgreen:

7. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yep - guesstimate @ a ballpark figure then DOUBLE it if it`s a listed building :idea: Then add 10% for the hassle of dealing with the poxy bureaucrats :rolleyes:

8. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don't forget a drain survey!

Andy

9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links