Another arris rail question

D

dextrous

Well, sort of. How far apart should fence posts be - my local wickes does arris rails which are 2.4m long. Does this mean that the posts could be that far apart?

Sponsored Links
arris rails normally run at 2.4m 3.0m and 3.6m from a decent fencing supplier

arris rails normally run at 2.4m 3.0m and 3.6m from a decent fencing supplier
But you wouldn't recommentd that the uprights are 3.6m apart. :eek:

Was just wondering about this as off-the-shelf panels tend to be 6', and why this was the case :confused: .

Sponsored Links
Ah you don't tend to use it with panels but vertical feather edge boards,old fashioned proper fencing. :)

Ah you don't tend to use it with panels but vertical feather edge boards,old fashioned proper fencing. :)
Sorry Infidel, I didn't explain my meaning properly. What I meant was that since off-the-shelf panels are 6' wide, it follows that fence posts are set 6' apart. I was wondering whether this was perceived to be the maximum recommended space for fencing, which would have a bearing on the length of arris rails ad in particular why they are sold at longer than 6' lengths.

fence panels are a standard 6' wide and so the posts are set at that. ARris rails are used for closeboard fencing and come in those lengths. It is a much stronger system, with larger posts, and the whole thing as a composite is very strong, so 3.6m bays are no problem.

fence panels are a standard 6' wide and so the posts are set at that. ARris rails are used for closeboard fencing and come in those lengths. It is a much stronger system, with larger posts, and the whole thing as a composite is very strong, so 3.6m bays are no problem.
Thanks Thermo. So you reckon that with, say 4" posts set solid enough, wider spans of say 8' aren't anything to worry about (in a sheltered spot)?

dex, weve done 3.6 m bays on the top of hills with no problem. make sure you get the depth of post right (2 feet for a 6 feet high fence) and dont forget the centre stump (ooh bet they dont mention that at wickes!)

Cheers Thermo - your cheque's in the post. 3", 4" or 6" posts are best?

Send me your bank details Thermo, for your bonus. You are the proud recipient of 2800000000 euros from the Bank of Nigeria's eurolottery..... :LOL:

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back