Another blocking up chimneys thread.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

planning more work on my house at the minute, 1920 solid stone semi detached bungalow/cottage sort

on the main outside wall of the house there is a chimney, feeding two old openings in seperate rooms that have been boarded up along time ago.

both have small vents on them, one of which is in a bathroom half way up a wall (belive this used to be a bedroom a long time back) problem is i want to fit selotex and then tile over in that room

everyone says that you shouldnt block chimneys so as to prevent damp probs.

Would it then be acceptable to drill a few 15/20mm holes through the chimney to outside and fit a vent on outside wall so I can block over internally with out fear of damp issues?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the chimney can be vented either internally or externally, the essential thing here is to ventilate the stack...pinenot :)

P.S. just make sure the external vent is weather proofed

Thanks mate, that makes like a hundred times easyer. Just need to find some external vents now that dont look silly on a sandstone wall now

thanks again

Partial venting of a chimney is a bad idea. It encourages condensation.

Sponsored Links
joe-90";p="2721356 said:
Partial venting of a chimney is a bad idea. It encourages condensation.[/quot

I must admit, I had assumed the chimney to be open or capped & vented at the top already, and a external vent at or about knee level say, to provide a positive air flow.
Well spotted joe90 :idea:...pinenot

Chimneys Open at the moment, will be trying to get elephants foot terminal or similar on soon, and vent dtilled to outside from chimney so I can seal up inside with celotex and tile backer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back