...another flat roof...... temp fix possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

just after some opinions on this...

we have a 20sq m2 flat garage roof that is leaking in a number of places.

The roof boards are untreated chipboard :eek: and about 30 - 40% of them are shot - the roofing felt is in pretty bad shape (cracks, bubbles Etc... one section even has a 20cm X 20cm sag in it (around 4cm deep) where the chipboard underneath has deteriorated so much).

basically the whole roof needs replacing except for the joists (in fact it leaks a lot less than it should ... maybe the chipboard is soaking up all the water... either way the garage isn't damp or and only two or three places actually drip)

anyway our dilemma is we want to knock down the garage and build an extension in around 5 years time - but in the mean time I'm after a cheap temp fix as I don't really want to spend £00s for a few years worth.

I'm thinking of repairing the dip (cutting off the old felt and replacing the chipboard and re-felting) and then using some kind of roof seal paint (any recommendations) around it and the other leaking areas.... repeat and rinse for the next few years...... reckon it’ll work or will I just end up spending too much time/money keeping the old girl on life support?

Anyone any other ideas are most welcome (never done roof work before)...or should I just bite the bullet, get the whole thing replaced and have done with it??

many thanks

Sponsored Links
For the sake of 5 yrs i dont think i personally would renew the entire roof.

it does sound pretty bad but if you can keep patching up and are happy to do so then this is about the best cold applied compound on the market imo.

Acrypol, available from most builders merchants, around £40 for 5litres.

many thanks - confirmed what i was thinking - always nice to have a 2nd opinion.

any idea to how much coverage 5kg will give or is it very much dependant on the condition of the felt?

[runs off to check ebay]

Normally you would just paint over the laps, splits or cracks etc and not paint the whole roof - and I am not sure if Acropol will last that long in this use. It's also hard to spread out in large areas

Your other option is a big sheet of thick polythene with some timber planks or concrete slaps to hold it down, and you can nail battens around the edge to hold it and give an acceptable temporary finish

Sponsored Links
Your other option is a big sheet of thick polythene with some timber planks or concrete slaps to hold it down, and you can nail battens around the edge to hold it and give an acceptable temporary finish

Was just going to suggest that! Agree with Woody. Get black polythene instead of the blue for less noticible appearence. If you batten the polythene down around the sides of the garage roof (not the roof surface!) if doesnt need any weighting down & doesnt look too bad if you do it neatly.

aye thought about going down the 'sheet' route but the house is in a very exposed location - I'm a bit unsure how to go about fixing the sheet to the house so water/wind doesn't get underneath it - suppose some kind of glue would work?? (garage is a 60's gob-on attached to the side of a 1900s farm cottage)

had a quick look at prices and reckon i'll give the sheet method a try as it won't break the bank if it doesn't work....

cheers

aye thought about going down the 'sheet' route but the house is in a very exposed location - I'm a bit unsure how to go about fixing the sheet to the house so water/wind doesn't get underneath it - suppose some kind of glue would work??

cheers

You should have lead flashing covering the join from the house to the garage roof? You tuck the sheet under the lead & fold lead over. If you are reallly worried about the sheet working loose then you could fix another batten over the sheet under this lead with masonry nails & weight down if you want with concrete blocks etc.

no lead - just a mess of felt, tar, paint(same colour as red oxide paint?!?!) and prob. other stuff - looks like a right botch job - luckily i'm going to add to it :rolleyes:

though saying that i haven't actually been up on the roof as yet for a full investigation so if i'm luck they might have just put felt over lead flashing....or painted it!!!! -

either way i reckon i'll be able to sort something .....

many thanks for all your help peeps - will let you know how i get on (now know what action to take .... all i'm missing is some free time. - lol)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back