Flat roof repair / re-roof question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat roof above my garage and utility room - the two run into each other so it's like having a double length (but standard width) garage.

One bit of the roof keeps leaking and over the past couple of years I've kept applying coats of roof repair paint and sticking bits of felt on it.

It's got to the point now where these bodge repairs simply don't last.

I want to sort this out but after getting some quotes can't afford a pro :(

Most of the roof is pretty good - it's just the back metre or so that keeps leaking.

So, here's my plan - I would appreciate some comments:

(1) Wait until everything is dry on top !

(2) Screw down some new boards (on top of the existing roof) to make sure everything is as flat as possible. I was thinking exterior plywood would be needed here but perhaps some chipboard underneath this as the ply is quite thin and people walk on my roof (window cleaners, etc)

(3) Tape over any joins between the boards

(4) Using the paint-on felt adhesive, lay down garage roof underlay and then some garage roof top felt

(5) Have a non-leaking roof

I know this isn't really the best solution but I'm after something quick'n'cheap. I appreciate this may not last many years but I just need to sort something out now.

Anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks,

Sean.

Sponsored Links
Like you, I have had to go the DIY felt approach on my new extension as I've run out of cash & needed to get it waterproof. Please don't get the impression that a DIY job is going to last as long as a decent proffesional torch-on job!

I used the Wickes cold applied self-adhesive system. My boards were new 3/4" ply, this is then "primed" with the relevant system primer, which is a bit like thin bitumen paint. You then have to apply the first layer of felt after its dried, but before 4 hours are up. Over this is applied the mineral based cap sheet. There are full instruction on their web site for applying it.

BUT!!!! I have helped a friend many years ago who was a flat-roofer, so I have had a certain amount of experience with drips, edges etc. Read up as much as you can about flat roofing as getting it wrong is easier than you think and it isn't apparent until it starts to leak, or only lasts for a couple of years.

If you use the self-adhesive stuff, do it on a warm day as its easier. Don't do it on a windy day as its like fly-paper!!! Also, cleanliness is imperative, you don't want anything getting underneath it!

IMO that's like putting perfume on a pig.Tear it off,put on a 3-ply self-adhered system ie:flintastic.You said its a garage so do it yourself,you can find install instructions online I don't have the link handy but go to Certainteed website and look for Flintastic Self-adhered install instructions,you must have a similiar product where you are if you can't get that,good luck!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back