Another Fortic tank question..............Sorry!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I know that similar questions have been asked before but I have an additional query. I am changing my plumbing set up and had planned to use a fortic tank to supply a pumped shower for the main reason that I have very limited space. Now I can hear you all screaming don't do it due to the likelihood of running out the small amount of water in the header tank. However I am not on a mains supply and intended to pump the cold supply up to the fortic tank using a pump with a flow rate of 20l/min and using a shower pump with a flow rate of 10l/min in the hope that this would keep the header part of the fortic tank relatively full of water, would this work?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
I can hear you all screaming don't do it

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbi...k-questionsorry.383152/#ixzz2kfXWsm7A[/QUOTE]

Do it at your own risk mate. I'm usually into ingenious ideas but here I can just see you heading for trouble.

I think you will have trouble getting 20l/m through a 3mm float valve jet and even if you do it will be noisy and troublesome. There's not much room in the top of a fortic.

Is there no way you can get a decent sized header tank up near a ridge and a conventional cylinder underneath somewhere?

Listen to the screaming voices

Thanks for the reply.

I have no space at all to get a decent sized header tank. The other thing is that I am coming off of a spring and would need to pump up to whatever tank I was using, so was hoping that a pumped supply through a float valve would work :( Would it help if I used a 3/4" low pressure float valve?

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify the situation a little. The spring I have feeds two tanks up in the adjacent field, one 25 gallon for settling purposes, and one 100 gallon tank which then feeds the house. The main problem is that I only get enough pressure from the 100 gallon tank to get up to around 7-8ft inside the house. I am installing a wood burning stove to heat the water and run central heating so i need the hot water cylinder up on the first floor to use the gravity for the hot water circuit. In order to do this i will need to pump the water from the 100 gallon tank to the first floor level and thought perhaps incorrectly that this would be possible through a float valve into the fortic. In addition if I could pump in to the fortic quicker than the shower would be taking out i hoped that this would keep the header in the fortic from running dry. I don't have anywhere to put a larger header tank. Just a thought, would it be of any benefit to take the cold feed to the shower pump from the 100 gallon tank as it comes into the house or would it be too much of a pressure difference compared to the hot feed from the fortic at first floor level? Again any help at all would be much appreciated.

I am installing a wood burning stove to heat the water and run central heating so i need the hot water cylinder up on the first floor to use the gravity for the hot water circuit.

You probably don't.

The HW cylinder has to be above the stove to allow for gravity circulation, but it doesn't have to be very far above. (Hint: they still work in bungalow airing cupboards.)

But if you are pumping up to the CW tank anyway why not have a decent sized one in the loft.

Thanks for the reply Owain,

I take your point about the height of the HWC. I don't have any loft space or anywhere to site a large header tank.

There also seems to be some doubt as to whether I could even pump to a header tank, though I can't see why not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back