Another mess?

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Just received the below email from NICEIC - no, am not a member.

What is the matter with these people?

To find someone on the Registered Competent Person Electrical register (RCPE) you must got to ElectricalCompetentPerson.co.uk (ECP)

"Registered Competent Person Electrical (RCPE), the Government backed register of approved electricians, received significant cross-party support at a drop-in session held for MPs and industry stakeholders at Portcullis House, Westminster recently.

The event was organised to boost political awareness of the register, the value of using competent electricians and the importance of electrical safety in the home. A number of prominent MPs and industry stakeholders attended to show their support, including the Minister for the Department of Communities and Local Government, Stephen Williams.

Domestic electricians registered with any of the DCLG authorised Competent Person Scheme Operators in England and Wales are eligible to be listed on the register and display the RCPE mark, free of charge. To find out more about Registered Competent Person Electrical, visit: www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk."

Are they going out of their way to make it as confusing as possible?

What is wrong with Electric Safe to match Gas Safe? - although NAPIT very sensibly collared it first.

Sponsored Links
What is wrong with Electric Safe to match Gas Safe? - although NAPIT very sensibly collared it first.

Because Napit put up the first online scheme member directory that was open to everyone who was part of any CPS.

Not liking anyone else to take the initiative, NICEIC set up their own list that IIRC was restricted to them and ECA members.

SO that didn't work as the poor consumer had then two places to look for a registered electrician (plus the www.competentperson.co.uk site, or course).

SO to make it easy for everyone ( :eek: ) the powers that be created yet another centralized CPS list and called it the memorable
electricalcompetentperson.co.uk

Of course, they have done very little to publicise the existence of this valuable resource. Whats wrong with CheckaTrade, anyway?

like most things, they have to try and invent things to justify their existence, generally they are not great at doing anything to make things easier for anyone.

I always think its mad when you find very experienced excellent sparks that have to return to college to be taught something (not) from someone who has never stepped foot on a site or actually been involved in a real installation.

Sponsored Links
This was how I was allowed to do my own inspection and testing by the LABC. I said I was willing to have my work inspected by some one who had equal or above my qualifications.

The only way to site the C&G2382 was to do the coarse. Come on how can any one teach one to read a book when you already and read it.

One does not need to understand the book only read it. Best of it people who had never read the previous version were more likely to pass as they didn't know the old regulations.

But how can any organisation claim to have all scheme members on a register unless the scheme operators supply those names? As my son went cards in he stopped buying his own books, using his own test equipment, and paying for any organisations or insurance. Unless the organisations inform the register operator directly how will they know?

Every year I think I should stop my membership of the IET but up to now it's still valid. But I am sure most the people who write the regulations are not members of schemes so what is the point?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back