New consumer unit not registered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had new consumer unit fitted at end of last year. Checked online re competent person and is NAPIT member ( have since confirmed this with NAPIT.). Now find out the work has not been registered and though spoke with electrician a month ago when he promised to sort it..nothing has happened....now no response to messages or e mail. He also did the electrics for a replacement kitchen...not sure if this required certification or not (new sockets and move position of oven). I can't see why a NAPIT member would benefit from avoiding certification. So what is best way forward for me from here. To be sure I am safe and legal.....what redress do I have.......help please.

Sponsored Links
Talk to NAPIT and tell them what you have told us. They should advise you accordingly.

If you can't now communicate with the electrician, I would suggest that you talk to NAPIT. They hopefully won't be too impressed with one of their members behaving like this.

Do I take it that there are not any other issues you're not telling us about - like disputes over payments etc?

Kind Regards, John

No the bill was paid in full on the day he finished......he seemed a decent guy.....hey ho.

Sponsored Links
As a matter of interest, was it a plastic or metal consumer unit he fitted (regulations changed on January 1st of this year)?

Kind Regards, John

Where do you live. Wales, England, and Scotland all have different rules.
Indeed. There are times when I wonder whether, in the intrests of avoiding confusion and possibly misleading/incorrect advice, this forum should be changed to "Electrics England", with those in other parts of the UK banished to their own forum(s) :)

Kind Regards, John

Where do you live. Wales, England, and Scotland all have different rules.
Indeed. There are times when I wonder whether, in the intrests of avoiding confusion and possibly misleading/incorrect advice, this forum should be changed to "Electrics England", with those in other parts of the UK banished to their own forum(s) :)

Kind Regards, John
They had promised that the little flag would have option for Wales as well as rest of UK. However that does not seem to have happened. My avatar makes it plain I hope that I live in Wales, but I am odd one out.

Perhaps the Spark has done a runner, by the sounds of things. Just take a deep breath and say to your self "Bad Luck" "There nothing I can do whatsoever this time" and leave it there.

As a matter of interest, was it a plastic or metal consumer unit he fitted (regulations changed on January 1st of this year)?
I had new consumer unit fitted at end of last year.
I know - that's what I was thinking of. Maybe the electrician (compliantly) fitted a plastic one at the end of last year, unaware of the upcoming change in regs, and then became embarrassed when he discovered that within a week of three of fitting it, it would become "non-compliant with current regs" - and hence 'went into hiding' from the OP! That wouldn't explain the lack of notification, but it could explain the OP's current communication difficulties!

Kind Regards, John

I live in England, I paid by cheque, the spark is still working in the area. It is a plastic unit, So the scenario that he is embarrassed is feasible.....so what is the pragmatic solution? Should I get a safety check done in due course and ultimately when I sell the house buy the insurance solicitors sell re the possibility of building reg checks.......I know this is unlikely but it's what they ask for

If I do get hold of him can he certify it now as it was installed under the regs applicable at the time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back