Is NAPIT part of NICEIC?

Thanks for the replies guys. I have gotten more advice and it seems we will have an argument to make as long as the electrician was competent and did the inspection to BS7671.

Sponsored Links
Does not "closed shop" relate exclusively to employment and, specifically, to the instance that employes are members of a certain Trades Union (as you say, now illegal in UK).

I'm certainly no lawyer, but I would have doubted that - since I agree with you when you immediately go on to say ...

As you say, any of that would be reasonable, but aren't you essentially saying that they are ('within reason') free to include whatever requirements/restrictions in their contracts/polices as they see fit - provided, I imagine, that they don't fall foul of legislation by decimating on the basis of race, sex, age, religion etc.?

One would imagine so - and the obviously could, if they so wished, be explicit in asking for just that. As was suggested early on, it's possible that they thought that being a NICIEC member was the only way of demonstrated adequate qualifications and insurance, isn't it?

Kind Regards, John
Agreed John

As I said, rules stop a closed shop, and it matters not what name you call the overseeing organisation be it union or scheme.

The rules while we were in Europe had to allow free passage of labour, so one could not stipulate C&G2391 it had to also say or equivalent.

You don't need to speak or read English to be an electrician, so and exam or test needs to in some way be multi lingual. OK there are limits, but if I wanted I could insist exams are in Welsh for example. Not much good as I don't speak Welsh, but that's my fault, I was born in Wales and live in Wales.

I think it is unlikely any Welsh electrician does not speak and read English, but could I am sure find a Polish one?

It would, I think< be restrictive practice and not be legal under EU and UK laws (we still retain some EU laws for now) .
I'm certainly no lawyer, but I would have doubted that - since I agree with you when you immediately go on to say ...

John I did say "I would think" ref restrictive practices not being legal - Just my thoughts, others may know better

Sponsored Links
JohnW2 said:
John I did say "I would think" ref restrictive practices not being legal - Just my thoughts, others may know better
Indeed - so I just added my "thoughts" to yours, with the caveat that "I'm certainly not a lawyer, but...", which broadly has the same implication as your "I would think" :)

In other words ,,, I think you're probably getting too sensitive - I was criticising or 'correcting' you, merely adding my thoughts to yours (with neither of us being at all sure that we are correct)!

Kind Regards, John

The rules while we were in Europe had to allow free passage of labour, so one could not stipulate C&G2391 it had to also say or equivalent.
You appear to be talking about employment (and laws relating to it) again.

What signatories on a document an insurer is prepared to accept surely has got nothing to do with employment, has it?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies guys. I have gotten more advice and it seems we will have an argument to make as long as the electrician was competent and did the inspection to BS7671.
Yes, that obviously what actually matters, hence what should actually matter to the insurer.

The difficulty is in deciding what is and indication of (probable!) 'competence'. They seem to feel that NICIEC membership is an indication of that, but you need to try to make them understand that there are other 'indicators' one could use and, indeed, that NICIEC membership actually is by no means a 'proof' of anything (other than that the individual has paid his/her membership fees :) ) !

Good luck!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back