New consumer unit not registered

Sponsored Links
I live in England, I paid by cheque, the spark is still working in the area. It is a plastic unit, So the scenario that he is embarrassed is feasible.....so what is the pragmatic solution? Should I get a safety check done in due course and ultimately when I sell the house buy the insurance solicitors sell re the possibility of building reg checks.......I know this is unlikely but it's what they ask for
The plastic CU was compliant when it was installed, and there is never any requirement to bring existing things up to 'new standards'. The worst that could happen is that a subsequent inspection might 'note' that the plastic CU is no longer compliant with current regs and 'recommend' improvement - but it's no less safe now than plastic CUs have been for several decades!

If it's any consolation, there's a lot of controversy surrounding this new regulation, with considerable doubt as to whether it is going to result in any significant improvement in safety.

Kind Regards, John

What certification is missing?

Electrical Installation Certificate for the CU and the kitchen wiring, a Building Regulations completion certificate, or both?

I live in England, I paid by cheque, the spark is still working in the area. It is a plastic unit, So the scenario that he is embarrassed is feasible
He would do well to be embarrassed were he not to have noticed that, although not in force until 01/01/16, the new requirement for CUs to be "non-combustible" had been in the Wiring Regulations for a whole year before then. But if he did know, and considered that there was nothing wrong with fitting a plastic CU in 2015 then that's his professional judgement and he can't be faulted for it, although there's a strong case to say he should have discussed it with you to ascertain your preference.

ultimately when I sell the house buy the insurance solicitors sell re the possibility of building reg checks
Those are a total waste of money. I would look on a solicitor asking for one as evidence that the solicitor was venal or incompetent or both.

What certification is missing? Electrical Installation Certificate for the CU and the kitchen wiring, a Building Regulations completion certificate, or both?
It would seem that the main issue is that the CU change was not notified ....
I had new consumer unit fitted at end of last year. Checked online re competent person and is NAPIT member ( have since confirmed this with NAPIT.). Now find out the work has not been registered ...

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The electrician has now contacted me offered an apology and is coming to do a final test and issue certificate.......please can I just ask one final piece of advice......what is the minimum I need from him to be legal. Thanks very much everyone.

You should receive a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate covering all the circuits connected to the new consumer unit.

You should also receive (probably separately) a Part P Certificate of Compliance similar to the one shown here.

Just to clarify:

It's not Domestic - just EIC, the electrician should give you this along with a Schedule of Inspections and a Schedule of Test Results.
He should then inform Napit who will forward the CoC to you. :)

The electrician has now contacted me offered an apology and is coming to do a final test and issue certificate.......please can I just ask one final piece of advice......what is the minimum I need from him to be legal. Thanks very much everyone.
That sounds like "a result", as they say these days! I hope it all works out!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back