Is NAPIT part of NICEIC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My company is currently in the process of making an insurance claim (nothing to do with electrics) and the insurers have asked for an electrical installation inspection certificate (NICEIC).

We last had an inspection done in October by a NAPIT registered electrician but in December our broker moved us to a new insurer and it wasn’t picked up on that the new one asks for NICEIC reports.

I’ve gone to our electrician and asked if he’s NICEIC registered and he’s said he was NAPIT registered but “NAPIT was subsumed into NICEIC and the registration had been grandfathered across”.

I can’t find anything about this online… can anyone confirm anything he’s telling me?

If he’s wrong is there anything else we can do at this stage? I assume it’s too late to get a new inspection done as the claim is already open…?

Very worried about this so thank you in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
My company is currently in the process of making an insurance claim (nothing to do with electrics) and the insurers have asked for an electrical installation inspection certificate (NICEIC).
They probably think NICEIC are the only such body.

Napit has no connection whatsoever to the NICEIC.
Damn… thank you for clarifying. I suppose all I can do is take this to them and see if they’ll accept it as an equivalent but being an insurance company I doubt it.

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't really be a problem. NAPIT are a nationally recognised body, so as long as you have their report they should accept it. They may ask that next time you use NICEIC.

the insurers have asked for an electrical installation inspection certificate (NICEIC).
There is no requirement for anyone to be a member of NICEIC to do ECIRs.
No requirement for them to be a member or NAPIT either, or any other organisation.

I’ve gone to our electrician and asked if he’s NICEIC registered and he’s said he was NAPIT registered but “NAPIT was subsumed into NICEIC"

I beleive it was Elecsa that effectivly got swallowed up into NICEIC by way of a new parent company spun upto contain both* https://www.certsure.com/our-brands/ Not NAPIT

*This creation of a parent object is somewhat unique to large companies, I can't think of any other instances where it occurs

Also the insurer cannot ask for NICEIC only as this is discrimination

As far as I am aware there needs to be at least two scheme providers or it would fall into the closed shop situation and that is illegal, as to if any organization can ask for just one scheme provider I would not think so, as that would also be a closed shop.

It would, I think< be restrictive practice and not be legal under EU and UK laws (we still retain some EU laws for now) . It is quite reasonable for the insurers to insist on certain qualifications to ensure standards, they might ask for a Fellow of the IET (IEE as was), a NICEIC approved contractor or NAPIT or to have a C & G 2391 & 2382 etc etc qualifications. Historically many Ins companies asked for NICEIC or ECA because that is all they knew have. A few years ago, if you informed NAPIT of your insurers stance then NAPIT would contact the insurers and "educate them" and I am lead to believe that it works amicably.
At the end of the day all they want is someone with suitable qualifications (and insurance cover) to make an assessment and to ensure they protect their own interests (Claiming against in case of a pay-out - risk transference)

As far as I am aware there needs to be at least two scheme providers or it would fall into the closed shop situation and that is illegal,
Does not "closed shop" relate exclusively to employment and, specifically, to the instance that employes are members of a certain Trades Union (as you say, now illegal in UK).
It would, I think< be restrictive practice and not be legal under EU and UK laws (we still retain some EU laws for now) .
I'm certainly no lawyer, but I would have doubted that - since I agree with you when you immediately go on to say ...
It is quite reasonable for the insurers to insist on certain qualifications to ensure standards, they might ask for a Fellow of the IET (IEE as was), a NICEIC approved contractor or NAPIT or to have a C & G 2391 & 2382 etc etc qualifications.
As you say, any of that would be reasonable, but aren't you essentially saying that they are ('within reason') free to include whatever requirements/restrictions in their contracts/polices as they see fit - provided, I imagine, that they don't fall foul of legislation by decimating on the basis of race, sex, age, religion etc.?
At the end of the day all they want is someone with suitable qualifications (and insurance cover) to make an assessment and to ensure they protect their own interests.
One would imagine so - and the obviously could, if they so wished, be explicit in asking for just that. As was suggested early on, it's possible that they thought that being a NICIEC member was the only way of demonstrated adequate qualifications and insurance, isn't it?

Kind Regards, John

...but stipulating NICEIC registration does not guarantee an adequate level of 'qualification'.
It may indicate something about 'qualifications', but certainly not necessarily about competence. However, as I said, maybe the insurer thought that NICIEC memberships does indicate such things.

Kind Regards, John

It may indicate something about 'qualifications', but certainly not necessarily about competence. However, as I said, maybe the insurer thought that NICIEC memberships does indicate such things.
They probably do.

This has been the case since before Part P and the 'schemes' appeared; due to NICEIC's promoting that they were a governing body rather than a trade organisation.

It is the only one that most people have heard of.

They probably do. This has been the case since before Part P and the 'schemes' appeared; due to NICEIC's promoting that they were a governing body rather than a trade organisation. It is the only one that most people have heard of.
Exactly. As I often say, there is probably a fairly strong case for there being some sort of 'regulator' ('governing body') in relation to at least some electrical activities - but, as you know, there currently is no such thing (any never has there been).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back