New consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to upgrade our consumer unit, I understand building control need to be notified.

The electrician has advised he will provide me a certificate which i can then provide to BC.

Is this correct? Is that all I'll need from the electrician?

Is there anything that the electrician needs to do to register that he has fitting a new consumer unit?

Do i need to notify BC before the work starts and do I need to submit a building notice application?

Sponsored Links
The electrician should give you an Electrical Installation Certificate, a Schedule of Inspections and a Schedule of Test Results for the work within a few days,

then has to inform his scheme (NICEIC, Elecsa, NAPIT, Stroma etc, shown on the link) within thirty days when you will receive a Certificate of Compliance from them - you can check on the scheme's site to confirm this has been done.

Thirty days is the limit; it should be much quicker.

Sponsored Links
As said in England three methods, scheme member does it all and you end up with a compliance certificate as well as the installation.
Non scheme member first has to either inform council or a scheme member able to issue third party certificates and they monitor his work, and at the end issue either a compliance or completence certificate either way the LABC should retain copies, however I mislaid the certificate when selling the house, and council were unable to supply a replacement, so it seems the system is flawed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back