Another old wall that needs sorting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on how to start tidying this room up. I've already overboarded the ceiling, now want to get the walls in good shape for a pro plasterer to come in and skim.

I want to tackle the first stage of this myself in order to get some more experience and see if I am up to the challenge.

I'm planning to take 2 days to put some battens up and fill in the large areas with sand/cement render.

Does this sound like the right idea? I've read a few other posts about PVA and moisture control.

I do not have any experience with trowelling or anything like that but tend to be OK with jobs like this. However I must admit this one does look a bit daunting.

Should I 'square off' the edges that need patching or just try and fill in the bare areas as they currently stand?

cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Or if anyone knows a good plasterer in the bromsgrove area please give me a shout!

Hack it all off and dab boards. Looks like you won't have to put in too much effort to fetch it off.

On another note, there's nowhere near enough fixings in those ceiling boards. They'll sag in no time. Fix every 6 inch along every joist.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the tip on the boards. I'll get some more in on Saturday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back