Another one about condensation in lofts...

Good advice, thanks.

I have two sets of ladders: the first is a lightweight Youngman DIY set that I bought new in 1988. I keep one extension for painting the higher bits of this bungalow, and the other has been converted to a lightweight roof ladder with a universal hook and wheels.

My "professional" set are much heavier and ideal for a job such as the above.

Sponsored Links
OK but remember the professional set need strapping securely just as much as any other, stay safe!(y)

I've used a cheap Mexco kit from the inside and it was neat on the outside. I'd hate to use one up a ladder, sat on the bathroom floor was bad enough.

Sponsored Links
I hired a big fat drill with safety clutch when I did the bathroom extractor.

The core bit I hired at the same time was supposed to have been sharpened, but it clearly wasn't and I struggled with it. Eventually the hole was done but the two ends didn't quite match up, and I had trouble getting the ducting to fit. The folks at the hire shop then had the cheek to charge me for sharpening the core bit, something they probably charged the previous user for but somehow failed to bother with. I really couldn't be bothered arguing at the time.

This time I'll hire the drill but buy the core bit, and that way I can be sure it's sharp for one use at least. Not heard of Mexco, but it'll probably be the last time I need a diamond core in this house, so I'll check them out.

The kit was about £70 for 110, 54 and 40mm (ish) bits. I used a £20 Energer drill too which won't have helped with the harshness of the cut.

I hired one for work a while back and seem to remember being charged about £60 for 1mm of wear even thought I only drilled 1 brick and 1 block.

Yes, I had a look at the Mexco bits, and I think I've been harbouring unrealistic expectations of the cost of purchasing such items.

Still, I'll buy the core bit, hire the drill, clean it after I've finished and that way I can't be ripped off again.

Well, I have all the vents, ducting and stuff and I'm about to press on with the job. Just have to locate the drill and core bit for hire locally at a reasonable rate.

Something else occured to me whilst mulling over the likely effectiveness of gable vents as a solution.

I have an Xpelair humidistat extractor fan which I bought for another purpose but didn't use. I was wondering whether if I opened vents in the opposing gables then fitted the fan at one end, it might be more effective in removing the warm, damp air than relying on natural movement of air from one vent to the other? Are there any potential disadvantages to doing this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back