Another Over-Flowing F & E Tank.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there have been loads of posts about this sort of problem before, but please bear with me.

My house has a 40-year old open vented system with an oil-fired boiler. It has a gravity circuit for the hot water controlled with a 2-port valve and a thermostat on the HW cylinder. The central heating is on a separate circuit from the boiler, on a ‘one-pipe’ arrangement with a pump and serves a total of 13 radiators and a length of strip/skirting heating. It has worked well for years and no significant alterations have recently been done.

Earlier in the year I had been having problems with the HW cylinder that wasn’t heating properly. Back in June I disconnected the feed and return from the HW cylinder coil, hooked up a couple of hoses and flushed it out with water from the bath tap. This seemed to cure it and assuming that sludge was to blame, when I re-filled the system I put some sludge cleaner in.

Recently when I started to use the central heating, I realised that the small feed and expansion tank was filling with warm water and over-flowing. The sludge cleaner had been in for about 4 months by now and so was long over-due for removal. I therefore drained the system hoping this might sort things out. Not much sludge came out, just plenty of brown water. I re-filled, but didn’t use any inhibitor because I wanted to be confident it was working OK.

The tank is still over-flowing though. There also seems to be a lot of air getting into the radiators. I bleed them all down and it behaves for a day or two, but then the gurgling noises start and the over-flow begins to run again. It only happens when the central heating is on. Once the pump is turned off it immediately stops overflowing and the level in the tank drops about 4 or 5 inches (due to cooling of the water?). The water level in the F & E tank is lower than the cold water tank and because the F & E tank is not overflowing all the time I am assuming that the HW cylinder coil is still OK.

A blockage somewhere would seem like the other cause, but the system filled up OK after draining down and once the radiators have been bled they all get warm, so there must be reasonable circulation of water. I’m at a loss to think what’s going wrong. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
The feed pipe and vent pipe are one of the same on my system. The F & E tank feed comes from a tee on the feed to the HW cylinder coil. It branches off to join the bottom of the F & E tank and than continues up and is bent over to act as an overflow.

i would opt for a sludge in the system rads etc check the gravity check valve is opening fully.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I had been thinking of doing a mains water flush of the central heating circuit, since a blockage or partial blockage was all I could think of that may be behind this.

You mention the gravity check valve. I only recently fitted one on the central heating feed from the boiler, because previously in the summer, even with the CH pump turned off, the radiators would get warm. I was advised this may be happening as a result of gravity circulation when the boiler was running to provide HW. Are these anti-gravity/one way valves troublesome?

The other thing I can't figure out is where all the air is coming from that keeps filling the radiators. It builds so quickly it can't all be a by-product from internal corrosion, can it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back