another painting bathroom lining paper query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched through a number of posts but not been able to find an exact answer to my query.

I have some walldoctor lining paper in my bathroom (1/2 panel 1/2 wallpaper + some tiling))- large room, reasonable ventilation. Paper is "paste the wall type" and has been put on with solvite ready made paste.
Question is how should I now paint it?

I had wanted to use a Crown period colour eggshell but this appears to be only for wood and metal-I'm assuming the same colour matt emulsion wouldn't be OK in bathroom

Now I'm looking at something like Leyland vinyl matt or acrylic eggshell
But do I do a 1st coat with 10% diluted of either one of these or use a diluted normal matt emulsion ?

Is this the best type of paint to use for a bathroom?

I hope someone can help

Thanks
Lou

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

You're taking a bit of a risk with paper in a bathroom, but as long as its well stuck down, you should get away with it - you've used the best paste on the market, so that should help.

I wouldn't recommend oil-based or water-based eggshell as the former, as you rightly point out is designed primarily for wood/metal, and the latter is in my opinion no particular use for anything!

I would therefore use a vinyl matt, which gives you a bit of durability and will have some 'wipeable' properties. No need for a mist coat - just give it two full coats of your chosen colour/make.

My main concern would be the edges of the paper as this is where it normally starts to 'lift' in moist environments. So if I was you, have a double check around the edges before you start painting, and if you find any bits that are not that well adhered, use a bit of overlap adhesive (or neat pva) to make sure the edges are well stuck down.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Julian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back